Second Skin Audio

Question on Tline

Bakerman

What is the use for these type of enclosures? I got the basic concept of how to build, and I would like to try one out, but are these type of enclosures designed for SPL or music?

mivtCK.png

i think they would be more for music, a tline allows for a wider bandwidth of frequencies to be played and they can often play up to an octave lower and higher than tuning based on how the tline is done, because you can have it tapered, horn, or constant port area. They are known for getting loud and making people think a single 10 is 2 12s, or a 12 is 1 15, things like that, i believe forevrbumpn said somewhere that he normally plays mid 140s on just 500-600 rms. But i do not believe they are for SPL

note* ive never vuilt one myself, ive designed a few and they have been built and as far as ive been told theyve performed well. But RAM, forevrbumpn and few others will give you much better reply than i can, but i like ot try and help when i can, i could be completely wrong on everything i said as well, LOL

i think they would be more for music, a tline allows for a wider bandwidth of frequencies to be played and they can often play up to an octave lower and higher than tuning based on how the tline is done, because you can have it tapered, horn, or constant port area. They are known for getting loud and making people think a single 10 is 2 12s, or a 12 is 1 15, things like that, i believe forevrbumpn said somewhere that he normally plays mid 140s on just 500-600 rms. But i do not believe they are for SPL

note* ive never vuilt one myself, ive designed a few and they have been built and as far as ive been told theyve performed well. But RAM, forevrbumpn and few others will give you much better reply than i can, but i like ot try and help when i can, i could be completely wrong on everything i said as well, LOL

x2

TLines bring a really balanced output from your sub, and extend really low. Most subs that do well ported get really deep in TLs. Your tradeoff is efficiency peaks that you look for (tune for) in SPL.

Transmission Line Enclosures are generally recognized as SQ. You can get lucky, I guess...

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

They are pretty complex, the best way to learn them, is grab a few different 8" subs or midbass's, and PRACTICE

Anything from sonotube, single bend, dual bend tlines. Mess with different line areas, and lengths.

In the tline tutorial, I tried to say, just try a universal line tuned to around 40hz. If you have a sub that has a Fs 30,35,40hz they should be fine with the line tuned a little high

I just did a tline which on paper should have been tuned to 42-44hz, but on the computer, peaked lower, and to the ear played well down to mid 20s easily.

I actually started with tlines thinking home audio. I started with 4" mids and 4" PVC, tried different lengths, sizes, and I got really used to how they work

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

What is the use for these type of enclosures? I got the basic concept of how to build, and I would like to try one out, but are these type of enclosures designed for SPL or music?

The purpose of this enclosure is an attempt at making a "perfect" enclosure design. See, a "perfect" box is one that is of infinate size and completely cuts off the waves from the back of the driver from interfearing with the waves coming off the back of the enclosure. These waves are 180* out-of-phase of one another, and thats why sealed boxes see a pretty constant gain all across the grid.

But, somebody back in the 70's had an idea to try to combine the two waves, so that they would be back in phase with on another. Hence the birth of ported boxes. But, Ports are tuned at 1/4 length of the sound wave, which then combines the two waves which are now 90* out phase. This is why you get the dramatic peaks near your tuning frequency, and not an increase across the spectrum.

Now, to get back about the T-line. The driving concept is to combine the 2 waves so that they are back in phase with one another. Essentially you are placing the driver in a port, which looks like a box. The "box" is tuned to 1/2 wavelength, which flips the wave format 180*, inturn putting the 2 waves in phase with one another. But, this type of box is very specifc and time consuming.

I hope it was easy to understand what I was trying to get across. If you have any more questions please ask of PM me and I will try to answer to the best of my abilities, or at least point you in the right direction.

Best of Luck and Cheers!

There is a point of diminishing returns on the amount of equipment installed, kinda like throwing money out a window.

The purpose of this enclosure is an attempt at making a "perfect" enclosure design. See, a "perfect" box is one that is of infinate size and completely cuts off the waves from the back of the driver from interfearing with the waves coming off the back of the enclosure. These waves are 180* out-of-phase of one another, and thats why sealed boxes see a pretty constant gain all across the grid.

But, somebody back in the 70's had an idea to try to combine the two waves, so that they would be back in phase with on another. Hence the birth of ported boxes. But, Ports are tuned at 1/4 length of the sound wave, which then combines the two waves which are now 90* out phase. This is why you get the dramatic peaks near your tuning frequency, and not an increase across the spectrum.

Now, to get back about the T-line. The driving concept is to combine the 2 waves so that they are back in phase with one another. Essentially you are placing the driver in a port, which looks like a box. The "box" is tuned to 1/2 wavelength, which flips the wave format 180*, inturn putting the 2 waves in phase with one another. But, this type of box is very specifc and time consuming.

I hope it was easy to understand what I was trying to get across. If you have any more questions please ask of PM me and I will try to answer to the best of my abilities, or at least point you in the right direction.

Dude, vented enclosure patents go back to the 1930s. It was patented before acoustic suspension was (sealed).

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived