Well, I know it's one of the hardest things to do, and won't come out how we need it to, but a friend and I are trying to paint a car. We've sanded the the hood with 400 grit paper almost all the way down to the metal, then we patched all the dings with bondo, then resanded them down. We cleaned off the hood and then applied a black primer with a rather thick coat. We let it dry and wipped it down with wet rags and let it dry again. It now has splotches of darker color, but there are no rough spots or bumps.

I'll attach a picture in a second to show you what we mean. What should we do from here? Sand again? More primer? Or begin the real paint process.. We want a smooth flat black matte style finish.

We might just take take it to Macko and have them do it "professionally"..if you could even say that..

9is3g5.jpg

i1ky36.jpg

29p21zd.jpg

talsoh.jpg

Imho you should hit it with 600 or 800 first and then a nice even light coat of primer, then id hit with 800 then you can start paint, but make sure you wipe it down/blow it off after sanding before paint to get all the little particles off of it. Then between paint coats like 800 or higher, then after your last cast of paint and before clear hopefully you dont need sanding then lay clear and if you are going to do a second clear hit with 1000 between first and second clears. at menards they have a handle thing that clips to the top of the spray can and it gives you way more control, id look into one they are like 7 bucks.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Nice bmw btw. But ya def do what i listed because in my experience with spray paint those splotches will show through the paint and everything so def hit again and lay a very even coat of primer down. are you guys doing the whole car or just hood? mainly just take your time and be patient

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

also when you look at it make sure you look at it with plenty of light and look from straight on sides and every angle to make sure its even.

and also wet sanding is way way better imho. make a slight slip solution with a mild detergent or regular dish soap just a drop or two per one cup and dip your sandpaper in it, keeps it from clogging up since its so fine

Yup sand it down some and hit it with primer again, Also since you are using cans it is best to take the hood off and get it to stand straight so you can get a nice even spray across the whole hood. Try to keep the can at the same distance too, because alot of spots like those come out when your moving the can in and out while spraying.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

Yup sand it down some and hit it with primer again, Also since you are using cans it is best to take the hood off and get it to stand straight so you can get a nice even spray across the whole hood. Try to keep the can at the same distance too, because alot of spots like those come out when your moving the can in and out while spraying.

If, and I mean IF this turns out decent your clears wont match your adjacent panels. You need to block sand the entire panel to ensure a level surface, prime and block sand until no metal shows after block sanding, ensuring there are no high or lows on the panel, then seal, paint and clear. Wet sand with about 1500 grit and buff. Best of luck to ya. If it were me, I'd go to a body shop and have them mix up some paint to match, then go buy a cheap paint gun over a using a rattle can. :pardon:

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

I agree with the block sanding and i hope you are doing whole car right? otherwise it wont match.

Archived