Dayton 15" HO's ? Any opinions ?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-469

I actually have one due to arrive here tomorrow (so I can start building my enclosure for two of them) but still trying to decide if I should return it, and order an Fi Q 18" ???

I've heard a lot of great things about them, especially pertaining to SQ..... but I like quite a bit of SPL too, and I'm just concerned about the relatively small X-max of these subs. Only 12mm's, although I've heard more than one reviewer say that this is really conservative, and 16mm is really more like it.

I think they are nice looking subs though.

Anyway, your thoughts on these subs ?

Thanks,

Fish

Well, after strongly considering one 18" Fi Q, I reluctantly excepted the FedEx shipment of my Dayton HO 15" sub....

And holy $#!+ !!! My intial impression of this sub (right out of the box) is that it is just beautiful. Solid, clean, and very professional looking !

So it looks like I am going to go on and give two of these a shot, in a 7.5 cu ft box, multi tuned to both 25hz, for my techno bass stuff, and 35 hz or so, for everything else (no, not at the same time.... just quickly, and easily adjustable, depending on my listening mood at the time :)

Will post some build pics, and the results.

Peace,

Fish

PS, I'd still like top hear from anyone who has played with these subs....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-469

I actually have one due to arrive here tomorrow (so I can start building my enclosure for two of them) but still trying to decide if I should return it, and order an Fi Q 18" ???

I've heard a lot of great things about them, especially pertaining to SQ..... but I like quite a bit of SPL too, and I'm just concerned about the relatively small X-max of these subs. Only 12mm's, although I've heard more than one reviewer say that this is really conservative, and 16mm is really more like it.

I think they are nice looking subs though.

Anyway, your thoughts on these subs ?

Thanks,

Fish

id really love a good review of these. i strongly considered them a couple times recently. what bothered me was the metal cone. didnt know if id like the sound or not

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Hey IH8, I'll certainly post an unbiased one ASAP.

The metal cone bugged you, huh ? Looks bad ass black anodized though ;)

The one thing that worried me, was the relatively small X-max. But I was told by at least a few people that in a ported enclosure, it wouldn't make that much difference..... unless maybe I was trying to compete in SPL contests or something, which I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a lot of DB's, but to me, the clarity is still more important.

And about these Dayton HO's specifically, I have heard "they sound really good / clean".... a lot more than I've heard "these things slam so hard".....

So I'm thinking these are more of an SQ design, than a straight SPL.

On the other hand, two 15"s in the cab of an F150, with 965 wts RMS, should be easily loud enough for a daily driver :)

Peace,

Fish

id really love a good review of these. i strongly considered them a couple times recently. what bothered me was the metal cone. didnt know if id like the sound or not