So, i understand how to set a car stereo up all the way, thats pretty derp proof. My car is ran active off the HU to external amps. Well, the only HT systems ive worked with are my HTIB pioneer one that was designed for the 360 when it first came out, and at home i installed a nice one, denon receiver, Boston 6.1, powered sub, all wiring ran through walls and banaclips in a plate behind the TV. But aside from doing that, how do you do a home theater? As far as inputs, I use optical from 360 to my HT, past that i use analog. mainly just one thats actually a headphone stereo splitter hooked up to a 12ft RCA cable i grabbed from a local shop for like $3 that they just ripped out of a truck they were doing a full new install in. So, if im trying to just piece together my own 3.1 system, what all is involved in something like that? As far as home/pro audio is concerned, im a noob. Would also like to know cuz im looking at (at some point in the future) getting some studio reference monitors, so figuring all this out now, while i dont have class, is the time to do it. Im not asking you guys to research for me, but if you have in the past, and have some good links, please share, and any good knowledge, please feel free to share that as well.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Receiver, decent set of bookshelves, center, plate amp, and subwoofer?

Or are you asking about how to choose equipment?

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Receiver, decent set of bookshelves, center, plate amp, and subwoofer?

Or are you asking about how to choose equipment?

more of how to choose the propper equipment. I understand car audio, who is quality, who isnt, what sounds good to one doesnt do another, yada yada yada... Currently im running a HTIB system from pioneer i got years ago that was designed to be plug and play with the xbox 360, time for a lil upgrading. But im lost as to what all i need to buy, how to choose what to buy, timeline, infinite, budget, as much as i can afford over time/little as i have to spend to get what i want out of it. Should i go with an unpowered receiver or an amplified one? I guess what i want is a nice set of bookshelfs (can build myself, and would much enjoy the task as i havent had money to work on my car this year) and a nice center, im now trying to figure out how to match drivers/enclosures, or just buy a prebuilt set. With what you listed, would the receiver cover the 2 bookshelves and center than a plate for the sub?

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV1312/Denon-AVR-1312.html?tp=179

Say i get that reciever, knowing i wont be running it true full 5.1, i could just continue what i have now which is fronts stacked on top of rears. Only reason i picked that one, well, about 7 years ago my dad bought a denon and weve never had one issue. Nice thing though, is id have a sub out, 75w for my center ch, and 150 per side if i ran it 3.1

• 5 weeks later...

denon makes phenomenal receivers. the one you've picked there is definitely a great option.

ill a little confused.

if you already have an HDTV, the best way to run everything with a new receiver like that is with HDMI. all of the components (xbox, blu-ray, etc.) that use HDMI will be plugged into the back of the Receiver via HDMI and then you will have a single HDMI cable going to the tv. the Receiver will become the brains of the operation at that point, controlling volume, input, etc.

now i'm a little confused as to what you want to do about the speakers. my personal recommendation for a 3.1 system is a couple of good towers, a center, and a sub. the sound you will get out of the towers is truly unmatched compared to bookshelves. they can get louder and sound cleaner at lower volume levels (so less possibility of distortion).

if you want to fabricate your own speakers and subwoofer enclosures and purchase the drivers separately, then i think car speakers will work just fine for that application. if you did go that route, you would probably need to purchase a separate subwoofer amplifier, because the receiver is meant for active woofers IIRC.

if you were going to purchase the towers or bookshelves pre-made, then i would recommend klipsch or polk audio over any other brands

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived