Second Skin Audio

*Type of wood used for box*

With sound you actully want the panels to be heavier. Its a way to dampen the box. People are saying ply is stiffer. Well it is but it isnt if that makes sence.. Long storie short, birtch resonates more then mdf does. Mdf is better imo

Fiberglass and resin the inside then.

ive wondered this also, what difference does the resin make ? i am wanting to do this, but their is no point for me to right now, becuase i dont have the basic concept of what it will do lol

People claim the resin makes it stronger. I use resin in my screwless design that only use liquid nails. It adds strength and rigidity supposedly.

Its cheap, and some people claim it can gain a .5-1 db gain in SPL designs.

ok.. now i kinda git it lol, sounds like a challenge for some to take over =P " resined box vs. non resined "

It has been done. Even Steve himself recently said he uses it because it gives the box more strength. Not because it massively increases the DBEEEZ :clapping::drink40:

:yahoo: COOL! less work for me lol. only problem is the mess fiberglass makes =(

You are only going to use the resin. If you wear gloves and take your time, and mix things right its not bad at all.

... il try my hardest rofl

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

With sound you actully want the panels to be heavier. Its a way to dampen the box. People are saying ply is stiffer. Well it is but it isnt if that makes sence.. Long storie short, birtch resonates more then mdf does. Mdf is better imo

Fiberglass and resin the inside then.

ive wondered this also, what difference does the resin make ? i am wanting to do this, but their is no point for me to right now, becuase i dont have the basic concept of what it will do lol

People claim the resin makes it stronger. I use resin in my screwless design that only use liquid nails. It adds strength and rigidity supposedly.

Its cheap, and some people claim it can gain a .5-1 db gain in SPL designs.

ok.. now i kinda git it lol, sounds like a challenge for some to take over =P " resined box vs. non resined "

It has been done. Even Steve himself recently said he uses it because it gives the box more strength. Not because it massively increases the DBEEEZ :clapping::drink40:

:yahoo: COOL! less work for me lol. only problem is the mess fiberglass makes =(

You are only going to use the resin. If you wear gloves and take your time, and mix things right its not bad at all.

... il try my hardest rofl

Heres a link to my build of the red oak box

My link

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

nice box actually =Pif you ever have time check my build out "1997 dodge intrepd".. their is a pic of my box on it

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Btw I looked at that box earlier, it's so pretty! That box and one of my drumsets gave me an idea.

How about a solid Maple box stained charcoal grey? Not sure about resonance qualities, but my 7 ply Maple drum kit sure sounds nice!

2004 Ford Mustang GTPioneer DEH-P7200HD head unitMach 460 Factory System

Cadence FXA1600.2

Cadence S2W10

Cadence 4 AWG wiring

Ported box, 2 cubes, 32 hertz

Btw I looked at that box earlier, it's so pretty! That box and one of my drumsets gave me an idea.

How about a solid Maple box stained charcoal grey? Not sure about resonance qualities, but my 7 ply Maple drum kit sure sounds nice!

Your drums have been treated differently and had some other things done to the wood. I play in a band lol and buy a lot of equipment.

But maple would be nice if they had a decently priced veneer. I will have to check it out!

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

nice box actually =Pif you ever have time check my build out "1997 dodge intrepd".. their is a pic of my box on it

I'm checking it out right now. Sorry I didnt take pics of my box being glassed man.

Your drums have been treated differently and had some other things done to the wood. I play in a band lol and buy a lot of equipment.

But maple would be nice if they had a decently priced veneer. I will have to check it out!

Haha no, it's my idea and I claim it! But yeah go for it, maybe I'm on to something. :shrug:

Edit: 500th post! 135db! Woot!

Edited by Dylank811

2004 Ford Mustang GTPioneer DEH-P7200HD head unitMach 460 Factory System

Cadence FXA1600.2

Cadence S2W10

Cadence 4 AWG wiring

Ported box, 2 cubes, 32 hertz

I'm checking it out right now. Sorry I didnt take pics of my box being glassed man.

hhaha its all cool.. good wrok tho =P :yahoo:

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

hhaha its all cool.. good wrok tho =P :yahoo:

Thanks dude!! :pardon:

I work at a construction company with our own lumber yard, (we sale wholesale) and there are quite a few types of hardwoods like birch to use, birch is one of the best, but any hardwood is almost as hard and light, just stay away from pine and you should be fine, now i don't know alot about sound quality with different types of woods, but you can usually get combi packs at most lumber yards for pretty cheap, combi packs mix birch, whiteoak and poplar, and poplar is by far the weekest, almost like pine, so less poplar means stronger wood.

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/species_guide/pdf/Strength%20and%20Mechanical%20Properties.pdf

if you really wanna learn more

sticking to birch or whiteoak if you don't want mdf is the safest bet though

keep in mind the most lumber yards only keep birch, white oak and poplar in stock, sometimes red oak and other specialty's, btw, i love the red oak box jmilch

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/