Second Skin Audio

Got an enclosure question for you guys!

Be VERY careful is you are thinking about drilling into plexiglass. Stuff cracks very easily and one crack, ruins the piece. I use plexi on a ton of enclosures for customers and I always use a drill press and SLOWLY punching down on the plexi (with a up and down motion) until it goes all the way through. That's the best way in my experience :D

Edited by DL DESIGNZ

Dustin -- Owner of DL Designz

www.DLdesignz.com

Custom Enclosure Fabricator

"Like" my facebook page to check out my latest builds!

DL Designz Facebook

Can try Melemene glue, when I went to school for cabinetry we used it to adhere laminate to mdf, might work in the same effect, dries clear.

2012 Ford Ranger:

Build comming soon!

• Kenwood DNX-6160
  • DC 175.4
  • 2 sets of O2 AR63 3-way Comps

Also, not sure if you thought about it, but you are building this in that SRT-8 Jeep yes? You might consider putting a layer of tint over the plexi since you said your buddy has luggages going in and out of there all the time. The plexi will get stupid scratched without some protection on it. I'm sure you've thought of this already, but wanted to give the input.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Instead of screws, couldn't he use a strong clear epoxy? The right stuff is very strong...no?

I usually use a combination of epoxy/sealant and screws. You could try using just an epoxy, but its worth the extra bit of effort to get some screws in there as well since there will be so much pressure underneath the plexi.

Dustin

Dustin -- Owner of DL Designz

www.DLdesignz.com

Custom Enclosure Fabricator

"Like" my facebook page to check out my latest builds!

DL Designz Facebook

Be VERY careful is you are thinking about drilling into plexiglass. Stuff cracks very easily and one crack, ruins the piece. I use plexi on a ton of enclosures for customers and I always use a drill press and SLOWLY punching down on the plexi (with a up and down motion) until it goes all the way through. That's the best way in my experience :D

Oh yes...the last thing i want to happen to this peice of plexi at $250 is to get any sort of cracks or splinters at all lol.

Thanks. i will take that technique into account. ive dealt with plexi a couple times but nothing like this. My concern would be the middle holes that im going to have to drill. the sheet of plexi is going to be 36" x 43". so idk how im going to get a drill press that far into the plexi.

Also, Ive seen drill bits that are specifically designed for plastic. have you used any of those or just used regular bits?

Also, not sure if you thought about it, but you are building this in that SRT-8 Jeep yes? You might consider putting a layer of tint over the plexi since you said your buddy has luggages going in and out of there all the time. The plexi will get stupid scratched without some protection on it. I'm sure you've thought of this already, but wanted to give the input.

It is going to be in a SRT-8 yes. but a layer of tint is a good idea... i havent thought of that before. what im actually planning on doing though is making a slide and cover panel that is color matched that will be removable when he does want to put stuff in the back.

Like this: let me know what you think

jeepsrt8thinlineswithsubsanddrawer8-16.png

This is what it would look like with the cover on:

jeepsrt8thinlineswithsubsanddrawerandsliders8-16.png

I appreciate the input. My build log is in my sig if you wanna check it out :drinks:

Edited by soundsystemaniac