Second Skin Audio

Deciding between JL and RE?

So, I have been looking around, and doing plenty of research into what I plan on dropping into the back of my 04 Lancer, and I have a solution... 2 of them.

I am one for sound quality, and I refuse to go out and plop a $200 pioneer or kicker system in the back of my car, careing less for any SQ what so ever. Basically, I am in the market for something which will be built well enough to knock my socks off (at this stage, anything over 1000w RMS could do that, as 500w RMS is the most I've ever actually been face to face with) but not SPL loud.

I was originally looking at 2 AA Havoc's, as they are an SQ sub, and have a crazy RMS power rating for a 12" SQ sub. I have now moved to something a little less expensive, as I am only a 17 y.o with a part time job.

Anyway, I am going stright for Audiosavings.com as their prices are pretty damn good. I am looking at either 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 - 4's in a dual 12" Vented A-trend enclosure, for $450 OR 2 RE 12" SXX 2000w RMS subs in the same setup as above for $550. I know the SXX are more for competition, but I also know RE make quality products, so what would you guys reccomend for a decent sounding setup?

ALSO, I will definitely be investing in a new battery from a/savings but am not sure what to get, and will probably need a new alternator as the 04 Lancers have a tiny thing rated under 100 amps.

'Tis for later on this year, and I'm planning on having them powered to their full potential, but not pushing my bank account to it's limit...

SO, what do you think? Other misc things will be invested in e.g. a rubber base in the boot so it doesn't rattle the crap out of the thin MDF board under the carpet, and little sound deadner and eventually a new set of 6 speakers.

04 Lancer CH ES

JVC KD-R626 H/U

(2) JL Audio Evolution C2-650 Components

RE Audio SEX 12" D4

JL Audio XD 600/1 Monoblock

Dc lvl 3 or 4 although I've had the havocs and as far as it being a "sq" sub nah its a great sounding sub that gets loud but at the same time my dc subs are my favorite pf all the subs I've had they can take power and abuse and sound very good doin so

="Impact"]

pioneer 4200 dvd

4 sets aa carbon mids

2 sets rockford power t1 tweeters

rockford power t400.4

rockford power 4inch

DC 175.4 DC 3.5k (soon to be 2)

2 DC XL 15s

The artist formally known as willie3719

Are you dead set on those brands? Their is great options out there

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

Well, between the two brands, I would say JL just because that is what I used to have. I had 2 12" WX-4's which are 200 rms with a 250 watt JL amp. They were pretty loud and sounded good. Plus I never had any real issues with them, bumped for a long drive without any issues at all. I have never heard RE in person or know much about them.

My w3 10"s sounded good and got fairly loud but bottomed out easy

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

The Level 3s will definitely out perform the JL w3s. Shipping to Aus will be a bit stiff but on the Level 3s wont be too bad. Im not sure where exactly you are but I sent a 9k to a member on here in New South Wales and Fedex did have a reasonable rate. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about DC and I will be glad to help you out.

[Multiquote x 7]

Thanks for the input guys. I live in South Australia, about 30 minutes from Adelaide CBD, so I don't think postage is too bad here.

Also, I'm not dead set on brands, but I see JL as the flagship brand for SQ, so that's why I am really leaning towards them, as they have a good rep for subs which pound out the cleanest bass around. I am also unsure on what amp to get, but I would like an affordable one, as my budget is around $1500 AUD (for the whole setup), and like I said, I plan on getting the RMS power of the amp matched with the subs, but I don't want something which will blow up after 1 hour of use, not do I want something which will leave me with an empty room when I want to go to sleep at night because of how much it costs.

Never really looked into DC, becasue as far as my knowledge goes (tbh it isn't far enough with car audio yet), DC have always appeared to me as more of an SPL brand, rather than one who competes for SQ.

I'm open to suggestions, but really, my preferences are:

- $1500ish budget for everything

- at least 1000w RMS total

- SQ subs which are reasonably loud, but sound clean

- Affordable SQ amp.

- dual 12" vented/ported pre-built box (unless you guys can reccomend me just one 12 or 13" sub which pounds loud enough to rule out the need for a second one... but remember, this is my first setup lol)

- and someone at a local car audio shop to help with the installation.

Edited by Fyro

04 Lancer CH ES

JVC KD-R626 H/U

(2) JL Audio Evolution C2-650 Components

RE Audio SEX 12" D4

JL Audio XD 600/1 Monoblock

i bought the 9k from cj. trust me dc is fucking WIN shit is awsome very good customer service and i can't wait to buy more. shipping is a bitch but youd pay for it with what ever sub you get from usa lol.

but. lets say the jl is better or the re just slightly to your likeing. dc has the best customer service iv seen they always reply asap and always look after me with all options. and you always can send pm to the owner of the company for any questions nobody else can answer (altho cj always found what i wanted to know) plus im not 100% but if you were to blow the sub either bad music clipping or bottom out recones are cheap compared to jl ect.

i wont say just buy dc as fi or aa im sure would be up to standard. but iv had GREAT luck and service with dc and i will support them all i can :drink40:

anyone say nut huger ima hit you <_<

EDIT dunno if fit budget damm shipping. but the dc 1.2k (if i remembr right) with level 4 15? if not set on 12's could slam right.

Edited by woodzyspl

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU