Second Skin Audio

HELP - Subs not loud

Hobbs155

Port area has to do with efficiently coupling the back wave with the front wave... that's where the added efficiency comes from. Too much area and you can unload easily (no cone control) and too little will not let you get as much out of your subs at high excursion, causing port noise. Your tuning also controls loading at certain frequencies. Finding the balance of port area, tuning, and box volume is what box building is all about.

Port area has little to nothing to do with cooling your coils. Clipping (as said before) is what is causing the burnt smell. The guy at your sound dealer is a complete fucking moron and do not ask anything from him ever again.

:drinks:

EDIT: clarification of above.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Port area has to do with the air flow. The right port area cools the subs correctly, thats

where your subs should sound the best, ect. The right box design is key.

no... just no...

Port area doesnt have to do with air flow? The right box design is not key?

The right port area isnt where the subs will sound best?

The cooling thing i said may not be 100% accurate but wtf? No... Just no? Wtf help the dude out, dont be a jackass

:No:

TheyDontWantMusic - I understand your frustration :trippy:

bassrace - He's just irked that you're a little off the mark.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Port area has to do with efficiently coupling the back wave with the front wave... that's where the added efficiency comes from. Too much area and you can unload easily (no cone control) and too little will not let you get as much out of your subs at high excursion, causing port noise. Your tuning also controls loading at certain frequencies. Finding the balance of port area, tuning, and box volume is what box building is all about.

Port area has little to nothing to do with cooling your coils. Clipping (as said before) is what is causing the burnt smell. The guy at your sound dealer is a complete fucking moron and do not ask anything from him ever again.

:drinks:

EDIT: clarification of above.

Very well explained, thanx for taking your time, What is the most effecient method of getting to that balance right? It seems to be me tuning one box at a certain hz will sound different to another box tuned to the same hz.

From what i have worked out on my current port area per foot is 2.99 and is tuned to 29.38hz. it hits the 30-50hz range nicely but anything about that sucks.

I'm about to put in 4" port but not sure what to tune to? Any idea's? bassrace said 36hz.

Yea that dude is a moron, they orignally built my box and i give him the specs sheet and the box volume is out by 0.5cuft. lol and the ports he put in sounded terrible. He had a look at my system and turned the bass boost all the way up and said there it sounds better, lol i said to him he dosent know what he's talking about because bass boost just gives you dirty signal. Grrrr, so fustrating, thats why i'm on this forum to get help because no one else seems to know what they are talking about.

HU: Alpine CDA-9886 with Imprint Module

Fronts: Alpine SPR-60C

Rears: Alpine SPR-60

Amps: Alpine PDX4.150 and ICE Power 20000D

Subs: 1 x 15" Rockford T2D215

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

I just been listening and it seems like it sounds good between 35-60hz but anything over that seems to be cancelled out, could this be a loading/unloading issue with my enclosure? Maybe its too small. I not sure, how do you get the correct balance, is there a program or calculation or something I can do?

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

According to Rockford's knowledge base i found this following quote "As a general rule of

thumb, making the enclosure too small will result in a lack of low-end

bass response, and if it’s too large, you won’t have as much output as

you could and the woofer’s power handling will suffer"

Could it be my box is simply too big if Pioneer recommend 1.2cuft for ported enclosure?

I think i'm going to look at building a new box, but not sure weather to go larger or smaller. Any way i can reduce the airspace in my current box to test?

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

i had these subs b4 it was soo hard to build a box for them that they liked the loudest it ever sounded was in this mtx thunder prefab i tryed a 1.25 box for it and it was really quiet and i tryed a 4cf tuned to 32 neither was close to the mtx thunder box for some reason. my only guess is that i likes a 1.5-1.8 with low port area like the mtx had

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

i had these subs b4 it was soo hard to build a box for them that they liked the loudest it ever sounded was in this mtx thunder prefab i tryed a 1.25 box for it and it was really quiet and i tryed a 4cf tuned to 32 neither was close to the mtx thunder box for some reason. my only guess is that i likes a 1.5-1.8 with low port area like the mtx had

lol thanx, you just saved me heaps of time and money wasting time trying to get the right box size for it. Its exactly what i was hoping for, someone who has had them before and tried them in different boxes. I had the old version of them the TS-W305D4 and got 140db on TL and they sounded awsome, thats why i bought them, and yea these just sound really quite on anything about 60hz.

I think i'm going to get rid of them and try go for a RF T2 12" or 15", not sure yet.

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

If you want to try less Iess area in the box first you can just add 2 by 4's in the box or just pieces of wood and that will lower your airspace in the box. But as said before those subs must be real paticular on the box they like, but you could play around adding pieces of wood to lower the airspace to see if they like the smaller boxes. I would call pioneer and ask for them to give you a box design or a recommendation on one. Good Luck dude.

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on how I'm going, I followed the advice and put in a 4" port X 14.17 inches. It is sounding a lot better. Louder and more range, it does seem to cut off the lower end a little but will need to redo my tuning and I can't smell the coils any more! Yay! The ports do stick out quiet a bit, not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. Any suggestions?

A big thank you to everyone for their input and advice!

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

Archived