How to remove clipping from music(video)

Ok.. i got 2 videos here from 2 different people.. 2 different ways. I want to know if either of them are actually removing clipping or are they just hiding it? I'm only using Decaf music right now in my collection because all my songs i "removed clipping" from using racerboi's video make my subs start smelling...

Video 1 LoudandLow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8P_8p5gLQg

Video2 racerboi

Personally, I'm not convinced. The peak is still flat, its just quieter than it was before.

That said, all the audible information that used to be in that peak is now gone. (Which is why I HATE the loudness wars. I have a volume knob TYVM)

I'm going to sit here and see what Decaf has to say.

Actually, I won't be sitting here. But my point remains the same. lol

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Personally, I'm not convinced. The peak is still flat, its just quieter than it was before.

That said, all the audible information that used to be in that peak is now gone. (Which is why I HATE the loudness wars. I have a volume knob TYVM)

x2

You can't "de-clip" music. One the peak has been plateaued it's there forever. Lowering it doesn't do anything but make it quieter like BJD3 said. The flat spot in the music will still get amplified and played through the speaker, which in turn will tend to overheat the coil. Play enough of these songs loud enough and you got Quiznos... Toasted Subs.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Yeah i as well was hopeing decaf would chime in on this one too.. That is why i posted it up.. im still not convinced that they fixed anything.. Decaf ftw so far :)

x2

You can't "de-clip" music. One the peak has been plateaued it's there forever. Lowering it doesn't do anything but make it quieter like BJD3 said. The flat spot in the music will still get amplified and played through the speaker, which in turn will tend to overheat the coil. Play enough of these songs loud enough and you got Quiznos... Toasted Subs.

It realloy depends on what your definition of "Clipping" is.

If you take it in the sense that the waveform is squared off at the top, yes you can fix it, but just a little bit.

The track will still have the distortion present and as previously mentioned any information that was above the waveform is now gone.

When I get off work tonight, I will post pictures illustrating my point.

x2

If you take it in the sense that the waveform is squared off at the top, yes you can fix it, but just a little bit.

The track will still have the distortion present and as previously mentioned any information that was above the waveform is now gone.

When the top of the waveform is clipped off, that's clipping. That's the definition. Don't know that there's any other definition, IJS. It's in a different place in the audio reproduction chain than your amplifier (which most associate with clipping, as it's the most popular cause of a clipped signal) but that is still clipping. Any time there the waveform is flat and not at 0, that's bad for subs... the coil needs constant movement to cool itself and voltage without movement (Direct Current) will toast subs.

Lowering the level at which this occurs doesn't do much if you are adjusting the volume to get it just as loud as it was before you attempted to "de-clip" the track. The flat spots have just as much amplitude.

in order to really fix that, you'd have to have an algorithm to interpolate clipped samples, and then you'd have tons of distortion in the signal. You could go and graphically move each clipped sample yourself to try and fix it, at 88,200 times per second of audio, have fun with that. Just like once you compress a CD to mp3, you can never make it sound like a CD again.

EDIT: After hearing all the crap edits, shitty mp3s, chopped n' screwed, etc. floating around on teh internets, I'm thinking improper amplifier gains are no longer the #1 source of clipping...

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica

x2

When the top of the waveform is clipped off, that's clipping. That's the definition. Don't know that there's any other definition, IJS. It's in a different place in the audio reproduction chain than your amplifier (which most associate with clipping, as it's the most popular cause of a clipped signal) but that is still clipping. Any time there the waveform is flat and not at 0, that's bad for subs... the coil needs constant movement to cool itself and voltage without movement (Direct Current) will toast subs.

Lowering the level at which this occurs doesn't do much if you are adjusting the volume to get it just as loud as it was before you attempted to "de-clip" the track. The flat spots have just as much amplitude.

in order to really fix that, you'd have to have an algorithm to interpolate clipped samples, and then you'd have tons of distortion in the signal. You could go and graphically move each clipped sample yourself to try and fix it, at 88,200 times per second of audio, have fun with that. Just like once you compress a CD to mp3, you can never make it sound like a CD again.

EDIT: After hearing all the crap edits, shitty mp3s, chopped n' screwed, etc. floating around on teh internets, I'm thinking improper amplifier gains are no longer the #1 source of clipping...

X2.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

well im waiting for my dd-1 so my gains are biggest reason. lol altho no sub right now working on recone.

as for music im hopeing someone can show us how to fix it if possible.

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

as for music im hopeing someone can show us how to fix it if possible.

you cant fix it. Read my post ^ :clapping:

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica

neither of those methods work, they both have reasons to not use them

i posted in loudnlows thread with that video why it doesnt work with pictures using his process... so the answer can be viewed in this thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114775-how-to-fix-clipping-in-songs-find-their-peaks/

ive also pointed out how djsnt's(racerboi) method might make red disappear on audacity but that doesnt mean there arent flat spots slightly quieter than before.. his method also degrades quality around the eq points (~70hz iirc) and leaves huge spikes (milliseconds) that get in the way of making the OVERALL song louder. the tactic of removing the red can negate underlying problems within the waveform and deceive you into thinking a song is fine to play at uber loud volumes. kid can do some cool stuff no doubt, but the method does not work with every song and is rarely needed at all. also most annoying dj drop in the history of c&s, lulz

there is no way to recover the data lost from clipping off the waveform. period. there are coverups and bandaids but nothing will improve the track until you have the original samples/loops and you mix it at correct levels from the start

heres my gripe... we play at full tilt all the time. since 2007 when i joined this site i see more and more people going way over RMS ratings and playing lower and lower without understanding the consequences/stresses involved. Listen, when u play songs that are almost as loud as -3db sine waves you will create heat, you will get your amp warm and you do run the chance of ruining equipment if you do not know your systems limits. remember most of us play at full tilt all the time. if we were to stay within ratings the subs are designed to handle a bit of extra heat and the amplifiers are designed to handle a bit of "hot recorded" tracks... but when you double RMS and think you can play below tuning without any back pressure its only a matter of time before something cannot take it.

to conclude, i do not use a method. there is no secret process that i act like cures cancer or wrote down and buried in a lockbox. i spend tons of time downloading 5-15 mixtapes per day and find the loudest songs. at times i actually make them quieter, its not about boosting bass in every song... its about knowing what a loud song looks like via waveform on oscope. i max out a song to where there's no red, upon saving on audacity it cannot go past 320kbps so some red reappears when u slightly compress the song. this is in no way equivalent to a flat 40hz note... these are .00001sec of too much mids/highs that is negligible at best and actually found in almost all modern music straight from the cd.

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg