Second Skin Audio

Designing new system, need help with box

SS4Luck

I just picked up a 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and am trying to design a new system for it. Ive never done all this on my pwn, and would like to be able to this time as I fainlly have the room/tool/money to do it "right". I also get a hell of a deal on Kicker stuff through my work so was planning on running Kicker stuff to save some money. Im looking more for loud/spl over sq with this.

So far plan is.

Pioneer app radio h/u running 2 3.5" in the dash

6x9 in both doors (cant figure out KS69 or KS693) w/ amp (undecided so far)

12" L7 w/ IX1000.1

I thought I was going to have a lot more room for a box than i really do after investigating the back seat. Looks like box size will be limited to 16x16x18 rectangle or an even weired shape with basically a big square with the bottom corner notched to clear the in floor rear cup holders

Is this going to be enough air for an L7? I know kicker recommends at least 1 3/4CuFt vented and I just want to make sure Im doing it all right. I do not know what the sub displaces nor do I have any idea where to go designing the baffles/ports, Ive always bought premade crap boxes for previous systems.

If someone could help just a wee bit with a direction for this, that would be great. Id like to have it 90% figured out so I can order everything this week

lol

or you can just start hooking shit up together and blow up speakers and your amp

That seems liek low air space for an L7, I am personally running my L5's in ~2cuft each + port displacement. for a simple port design try using Torre's calculator Here, it does a pretty good job and is user friendly. good luck man, im sure you'll get something that works to your liking.

FYI though from someone who has built many boxes for L5's the square mounting hole is a PITA.

Also Kickers site recommends 3cuft min 6cuft max vented for the L7, 1.8 is sealed and I know everyone hates on sealed boxes but My L5's got down when I had them in ~1.8cuft sealed so that might even be something to test out and see if you like since you are limited on space.

That seems liek low air space for an L7, I am personally running my L5's in ~2cuft each + port displacement. for a simple port design try using Torre's calculator Here, it does a pretty good job and is user friendly. good luck man, im sure you'll get something that works to your liking.

FYI though from someone who has built many boxes for L5's the square mounting hole is a PITA.

Also Kickers site recommends 3cuft min 6cuft max vented for the L7, 1.8 is sealed and I know everyone hates on sealed boxes but My L5's got down when I had them in ~1.8cuft sealed so that might even be something to test out and see if you like since you are limited on space.

Ya I am doing the L7/L5 debate right now.

Ive built two boxes for friends for square subs before, the mounting isnt too bad with a good set of wood tools (thats why i build, er should say cut their boxes for them. Ive got a nice farm with a machine shop lol)

The 3/6ft is for the 15" L7 btw, not the 12

lol

or you can just start hooking shit up together and blow up speakers and your amp

Archived