Second Skin Audio

Interesting results with port extensions....

Ive seen a 3db gain from just 1 flare.

Just sayin

one pipe with a flare or a one " flare?

Loudness is no substitute for musicianship, and partial deafness is no badge of honor. I was once able to hear this advice.

Build Log>>>

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...pid=672024&

New Build

Believe in the order

Hey Ray

Ive seen a 3db gain from just 1 flare.

Just sayin

Geeez, I dunno, but that sounds almost too good to be true ! 3db's ? Really ???

It's kind of funny, but I almost always see them pushing aero ports as a great way to eliminate port noise (which is not a problem with sufficient port area, anyway) but I honestly don't remember ever reading about huge gains in db's ? Think I'll have to go back and look into this some more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh hey, but anyway, had it been proven to me ahead of time, that a flared port could add significant db's, I actually did flare the 6" pvc port on my last box, myself, by heating up the edge with a blow torch, then forcing it down over (of all things :)) a bowling ball ! Worked great !

Here's a pic... but it's kind of hard to see how much it's flared, as I wrapped the 4" or 5" that protruded from the box, with carpet....

119702530.jpg

Peace,

Fish

Thanks guys.

Decaf, moving that box would be almost as difficult as moving half dome ! :) LOL + I like the look of it all on the drivers side...

However, when the port extensions are in place, they do, in fact come within a few inches of the passenger side rear door. I never considered that this would add db's, but I can totally believe it.

Anyway, like I say, I'm not really a hard-core SPL guy anyway. I still have some SQ tendencies :) Although my system will never be SQ enough to compete.... Nor SPL enough to compete.... Yet it's still louder, and cleaner than most of the systems in my area. {okay, there are a few loud a$$ fart boxes around here, but I mean, systems that play actual music}.

Anyway, going to finish those couple port extensions today. Will add pics to this thread.

Peace,

Fish

id move the box closer to the passenger side where the amp is

you aernt utilizing the gain from loading the port against a surface

nice looking setup btw