Replacing Stock Battery

Hey, First post !

I have a question cause I'm trying to figure out what my best option would be. I have a Rockford Fosgate T2 12" sub, and a Soundstream PXI.1300D currently in my car (Chevy Cobalt). Everything is wired @ 1 ohm & the gain is about half on the sub, DMM shows I am giving the sub ~650 watts. My problem comes now when the system hits for long periods of time or when the system demands more power when hitting the lights in my car dim. (Voltage on the Cap is showing ~14.2 ish volts but when my lights dim it goes down to 13.5)

I am on a budget, and was looking to purchase a battery, because my battery is in my trunk I am limited on space and the biggest one I have found is a Kinetik HC 1200 that will successfully fit. My stock battery is a 550 CCA AC Delco, my question is, Will i still notice any dimmage in my car after a battery upgrade ? Is it a good idea to invest in the Kinetik HC 1200 ?

Team L.I. S.P.L

- DC XL 18 M2

- DC 3.5K

- Mechman 270

- XS & Shuriken batts

Hey, First post !

I have a question cause I'm trying to figure out what my best option would be. I have a Rockford Fosgate T2 12" sub, and a Soundstream PXI.1300D currently in my car (Chevy Cobalt). Everything is wired @ 1 ohm & the gain is about half on the sub, DMM shows I am giving the sub ~650 watts. My problem comes now when the system hits for long periods of time or when the system demands more power when hitting the lights in my car dim. (Voltage on the Cap is showing ~14.2 ish volts but when my lights dim it goes down to 13.5)

I am on a budget, and was looking to purchase a battery, because my battery is in my trunk I am limited on space and the biggest one I have found is a Kinetik HC 1200 that will successfully fit. My stock battery is a 550 CCA AC Delco, my question is, Will i still notice any dimmage in my car after a battery upgrade ? Is it a good idea to invest in the Kinetik HC 1200 ?

well for cheap yea that battery will work try the big 3 upgraded the wire from ur battery to ur fuse panel helps with dimming lights could also be a bad ground try getting a better one

CAR

-2005 Ford Mustang (Legand Lime)

H/U

-Pioneer avh 3200dvd

Amps

2 AQ 3500d.1s strapped 1ohm daily .25burps

1Sundown Audio 100.4

1 Sundown Audio 125.2

Subs

4 AQ HDC'4s 12's

Mids and highs

4 Sundown Neo Pro 8s

2 AQ Super Tweeters

Electronical

Mechman 270 unit

1 D3400

2 D3100's

WALLED!

take cap out and do big 3 in 1/0 gauge

to do big 3 for your car, in this case, would be alt + to battery + (all the way to the trunk) then battery - to frame (strut tower works just as well, just make sure you sand all paint off so its shiny metal). i dont see how you would be able to do the 3rd step (engine block to battery -) without running a whole nother run of 1/0 through the car, which isnt really worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for all the input! That was quicker then expected.

well for cheap yea that battery will work try the big 3 upgraded the wire from ur battery to ur fuse panel helps with dimming lights could also be a bad ground try getting a better one

@KnockinthaStreetzof608 I've been looking into the Big 3, Kind of difficult for me to do with my car though.

Just add it in the back and keep stock battery.

@LoudBimmer I am kind of crammed for room, Which is why I wanted to replace the stock battery, Would it make that much of a difference ? And was far as I know wouldn't that cause uneven charging with the batteries ?

take cap out and do big 3 in 1/0 gauge

to do big 3 for your car, in this case, would be alt + to battery + (all the way to the trunk) then battery - to frame (strut tower works just as well, just make sure you sand all paint off so its shiny metal). i dont see how you would be able to do the 3rd step (engine block to battery -) without running a whole nother run of 1/0 through the car, which isnt really worth it in my opinion.

@Kranny I have about 20 feet of this bullz audio 1/0 o2 free wire, I have done my fair share of research and have heard that pulling out my stock wire could confuse my PCM? I was thinking about simply running a second line from the alt to the battery using this wire provided it is good enough. As far as I know I can still do the engine block to ground as the benefit would be a better ground for my alt (as it's grounded through the car), that I can use a strut tower up front for. As far as the battery ground in the back, I have an unibody car and struggled to find a good ground for my car, I had everything grounded to the same spot on my frame up until yesterday when I changed it to the metal bar that is hooking my backseat in, I did sand all the paint off the washer on the screw and the system seems to be a bit better now but I need to get my sub upto the rated 1000W.

Team L.I. S.P.L

- DC XL 18 M2

- DC 3.5K

- Mechman 270

- XS & Shuriken batts

Hmm,

I've been thinking and I do have a couple of other options, I could go out and buy a Yellow top @ a local parts store, but they are all too tall for my application (then again I could always just lay it down ), I could go out and get a brand new Kinetik HC 800 (for $70 through pro-rated purchase as my first one Has been sitting and is pulling a voltage of 1.2V ) and use the HC 800 as a second battery, but I've heard that the AGM batteries aren't going to play nice with my stock lead acid battery. Or I could just bite the bullet and buy a kinetik HC 1200 and just replace my stock battery and call it a day. Not sure which one would be my best plan at this point, I'm only looking to run 1000W RMS which isn't a crazy amount.

Edited by jeffm4688

Team L.I. S.P.L

- DC XL 18 M2

- DC 3.5K

- Mechman 270

- XS & Shuriken batts