A thought occurred to me today. How do Toyota, and other hybrid car manufacturers mitigate the typical wear associated with startup? It seems to me that the engines would wear much faster because of their many start cycles - most of the wear happens on startup since the oil is in the pan, not where the moving parts are.

I have read around and it seems that there is a special start cycle of some sort, but I'm not sure what it is. Could someone help me wrap my head around this?

A thought occurred to me today. How do Toyota, and other hybrid car manufacturers mitigate the typical wear associated with startup? It seems to me that the engines would wear much faster because of their many start cycles - most of the wear happens on startup since the oil is in the pan, not where the moving parts are.

I have read around and it seems that there is a special start cycle of some sort, but I'm not sure what it is. Could someone help me wrap my head around this?

not to sure how a hybrid works but dont u only start a car once when u plan on driving it not tryin to sound like a dick just wondering what ur meaning by start cycle

not to sure how a hybrid works but dont u only start a car once when u plan on driving it not tryin to sound like a dick just wondering what ur meaning by start cycle

Hybrids turn off the engine when gliding or when stopped at a light to save fuel. At some point, the engine has to turn back on. It is this constant starting and stopping and the (possible?) associated wear I am wondering about.

Not all hybrids run like that...as a matter of fact, I believe the new CRX is the first one to implement that...I THINK. But overal, its not the gasoline engine that is cutting on and off...its the electrical engine that is doing so. Electrical engines don't need lubrication.

mivtCK.png

When you turn off the engine, teh oil doesn't suddenly drop to the pan. Oil is thick and coats the parts. Only the first startup of the day is 'bad'. It takes an hour or so for all the oil to head to the pan. So, unless you sit at a redlight for an hour, I think its fine.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

When you turn off the engine, teh oil doesn't suddenly drop to the pan. Oil is thick and coats the parts. Only the first startup of the day is 'bad'. It takes an hour or so for all the oil to head to the pan. So, unless you sit at a redlight for an hour, I think its fine.

i thought it only took a couple minutes for the oil to drop down thanks for the correct info