14 volt ?

I'm doing a complete setup in my truck and had a few questions on my battery alt choices. im going to go with the mechman 270 amp alt for my 04 ram 1500 when i look up batterys they have he choice of 12 or 14 volt and im wondering if with the new alt and putting in 2 14 volt batteries will they charge correctly and and not cause any problems or do i just need to stick with the 12 volt batteries?

From what I've read most cars can getaway with it but I think you really wont know until you try. My mechman has avbm I had tried to put it at 16v charge out because I think off the top of my head isthe charge poimt for 14v batteries. My car didn't like that so I'm stayimng with 12v.

Someone that knows more moght chime in though. Good luck.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

I'm doing a complete setup in my truck and had a few questions on my battery alt choices. im going to go with the mechman 270 amp alt for my 04 ram 1500 when i look up batterys they have he choice of 12 or 14 volt and im wondering if with the new alt and putting in 2 14 volt batteries will they charge correctly and and not cause any problems or do i just need to stick with the 12 volt batteries?

Really it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and the equipment you are used. But in general a 14volt bat wants to charge around 16volts. You cars electrical probably wont like that very much. Step Downs is an option but again, it depends on what you are trying to do.

If you want to keep it simple stick with 12v electrical.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived