Sonic Electronix

RCA crossing power wires (questions)

I have several questions on this subject because I put in a 2nd amp and it's a 4 channel this time, which means 2 more RCA's and one more power & ground.

1. They say to run them away from each other or you may get interference soo.. what does this interference sound like, what to look for?

2. The twisted cables are suppose to prevent this to an extent, right? And what kind of power would a power wire need to being pushing to interfere heavily?

3. Are there and coatings you could use where they cross or should I just toughen up and re-wire the set-up?

Edited by Ian01

·· YouTube ··

··

The Ride · The Audio ··

···

The Toy ···

Rewire it, low-level's down one side of the vehicle and power down the other! Are you running ground from the battery? Because you only need about 18" or less of ground wire grounded to the chassis.

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

Yes if you run them together it can cause interference. Hear engine whine sounds like your driving a really tiny ricer car through your speakers. Do yourself the favor and run them away from eachother, better to take advice and do it right than to risk it and question later

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

ive had someone tell me thats the reason the amp company's intentionally put RCA input on one side and 12v/grd on the other side

468x60drc.jpg

I run them down each side of the car, but my subs RCA crosses my other amp's power and ground for an inch or so..

when I turn the car off after a few minutes of playing, I get an audible discharge sound from my rear seakers.. I think? It's not static but a whine sound kinda? and it's ONLY when I turn it off. My rear RCA's are no where near a ground or power wire.

Edited by Ian01

·· YouTube ··

··

The Ride · The Audio ··

···

The Toy ···

I have rca's wire-tied to 0awg from front to back with absolutely zero noise :shrug:

What kinda RCA's are you running?

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

I have rca's wire-tied to 0awg from front to back with absolutely zero noise :shrug:

x2

While in theory running them next to each other causes noise, in practice (as long as you have decent rcas) you won't have a problem. The couple times I've done it tells me it isn't a huge deal. Or if there is noise, its so minimal that it doesn't even matter.

Try and run them separate from each other. Better to be safe than sorry. But if for whatever reason running them separately isn't possible, put them together. Maybe not put all the trim panels back in case you do have noise, but I SERIOUSLY doubt you will.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert