Sundown Audio

Efficiency in 4 channel amps

TheGreatJuice

Throw efficiency out the window really, at this point in time class A/B still rules for stage amplification but class D is starting to make a charge in that direction now with a few high end companies making class D 2ch and 4ch amps.

EDIT: Efficiency is not so much about current draw as much as it is about the heat generated inside the amp with the different classes of amps.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Kranny, you and I normally agree on stuff...yes, for solid SQ AB wins. but modern class D full range amps sound very good, and most people won't notice a difference...MOST people. As far as efficiency goes...AB amps are most efficient at 80-95% power...running as high as 70%. usually they will be about 40% efficient. For the average joe I'd recommend the full range D just because he can get more power with a smaller footprint and will be just as happy with it.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

you won't notice the difference....really, you won't. go with what fits your build and budget, and don't worry about specs in this case

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Kranny, you and I normally agree on stuff...yes, for solid SQ AB wins. but modern class D full range amps sound very good, and most people won't notice a difference...MOST people. As far as efficiency goes...AB amps are most efficient at 80-95% power...running as high as 70%. usually they will be about 40% efficient. For the average joe I'd recommend the full range D just because he can get more power with a smaller footprint and will be just as happy with it.

You just answered my question considering I'm a huge audiophile haha. The A/B is alot cheaper anyway so that makes a huge difference.

Cheap AB is bad...I haven't heard the RE but go LISTEN TO IT before you think you're buying an audiophile grade amplifier. it's not a Series III, I guarantee it...what kind of speakers are you using?

Principal

i've never heard mids and highs running off of a class d (that i know of) so i cant speak directly about it. but ill trust your word, and the other guys, about it. disregard my post OP :)