is it ok to port 6.5 speakers?

I am thinking about building me some towers for my house. However, I'm not sure if i can port 6.5s. I'm thinking of purchasing whatever brand I can port. I want to do things right and not be disappointed of the outcome because I have never done this. I know Steve ported his 7'' carbon fibers just wondering if that can be done to any speaker?I have researched this but having little luck on manufacturer specifications. Each tower will consist of 4 6.5 mid's and tweeters (totaling 250rms) and 1 fi 10' x (500rms) totaling 500rms mid's and 1000rms bass. I know it can be too much for some but for me is just what i want to get. Can anyone help?

yes. a 6.5" driver can be ported you just need to find out the volume and what hz you want to port it too. some speakers plays louder in a sealed box (mids) and the bass should be ported to like 28 - 30 hz to get the realy lows:D but for a 10" i think you gotta go with 31hz:D

post a log. im waiting :D

Cerwin Vega <3 . When Bass Counts!

yes. a 6.5" driver can be ported you just need to find out the volume and what hz you want to port it too. some speakers plays louder in a sealed box (mids) and the bass should be ported to like 28 - 30 hz to get the realy lows:D but for a 10" i think you gotta go with 31hz:D

post a log. im waiting :D

Thank you for your output, i was just skeptical about building this project. I will post pics, stay tuned. thinking about using. kenwood kfc p709ps 2 way or rockford fosgate... not sure about that yet.

Depends what you're doing it for. If you're doing it for bass, the gains are minimal. If you're doing it for volume, the gains might be worth it... But at the same time, the SQ of the speakers diminish.... Almost like a PA speaker effect. I know steve's towers are ported and he might be able to shed some light on the situation.

You can port mids, it's done allthe time in home theatre systems. But I wouldn't just port them at a frequency that seems good, you need to base your tuning off the specs of the driver along with the box. It takes a bit more effort to find the tuning and box size to get the most linear frequency response. Il try and find a link that explains it alittle better

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

You can port mids, it's done allthe time in home theatre systems. But I wouldn't just port them at a frequency that seems good, you need to base your tuning off the specs of the driver along with the box. It takes a bit more effort to find the tuning and box size to get the most linear frequency response. Il try and find a link that explains it alittle better

this is the issue with this build for me. I know it takes more than simply getting some mdf and building boxes. No, i want it to be clean and sound loud as i may use it for house parties occasionally. I with you on the figuring out part, i know I need all the specs from speakers. I been looking at parts-express and they seem to have great products. If Steve sheds some light this would be much easier for me since he already did it. Thank's for the output guys@!

Sure is. this is .5 cf^ tuned to 38 if I remember right. Did this for my buddies center stage

IMAG0434.jpg

TEAM DC

www.dcsoundlab.com

2003 Tiburon GT V6 6 Speed

Ported Clam

6 12" DC Audio XL M2's

2 American Bass 1100.1

1 American Bass 350.4

3 D3100, 1 D975, 3 D925

Second Skin Damp Pro and Spectrum.

About 75% done

153.6 Sealed on dash at 34hz

TDH.jpg

Yes. you can port any speaker any size. but the whole idea of porting is tuning to either high or low frequencies. so you would need to find out what the speakers range is and what you would want to tune them to.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

This site helps a lot with any home theater issues might have.

to answer your question of sealed vs ported, there's a little calculator found on that site (linky) that gives you a more definite answer.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived