Sonic Electronix

Every wire chart I've looked at shows 4 gauge having a rating under 100 amps. Didn't say it wouldn't work, but it's not adequate.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Your t1500 amp would produce more power with 1/0 inputs.

Thanks, I'm sure Rockford was thinking they would reduce the output of the amp by making sure it wouldn't get enough power. Or they simply didn't know what they were doing.

Edited by MrSkippyJ

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

My math is as follows... 100 watts @ 12 volts = 10 amps. That being said, 1100 watts @ 12 volts = 110 amps. I've been under this impression for a couple years now, so correct me if I'm wrong. I never calculate at 14.4 because perfect voltage is a rarity. Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong.

That assumes perfect efficiency, but yes for the most part that is right. Of course, that is MAX draw, your average draw is well under that which is why 4g will work just fine. 4g will sustain 200amps for short periods and 150amps safely so there is no need for 0g with 1100 watts.

If he already has 4g in the car, use it just fine. However if he is just trying to save money now, then I would suggest to go ahead and use 0g and save some money in the long run.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Glad we can Roughly agree on something. Copper clad aluminum isn't as conductive as copper so throw that factor in. CCA can handle 65-70 amps MAX draw as you say - as it has more resistance than Copper. What if his 4 gauge wire isn't actually 4 gauge? Say by industry standards it's a 6 gauge equivalent... Which many companies are notorious for doing this. What can that wire really handle?

On the flip side, box rise won't ever let that amp see a perfect and steady 4 ohms or 1100 watts of output. So quality 4 gauge will more than likely work... But back to what I was saying. It is inadequate. And yes, if I had a t1500 I'd be running 1/0 to that bitch. And yes, Rockford created an amp that could potentially be more efficient... What a surprise that is....

what about 2 gauge wires??

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

I corrected my post by taking the math out till im 100% sure on the exact numbers but at that ohm load it will require more power the make the 1100 that he wants at that higher ohm load

took it out of mine too. 1100 watts takes roughly the same power to make regardless of what amp you are using (of course amps efficiency changes this).

Glad we can Roughly agree on something. Copper clad aluminum isn't as conductive as copper so throw that factor in. CCA can handle 65-70 amps MAX draw as you say - as it has more resistance than Copper. What if his 4 gauge wire isn't actually 4 gauge? Say by industry standards it's a 6 gauge equivalent... Which many companies are notorious for doing this. What can that wire really handle?

On the flip side, box rise won't ever let that amp see a perfect and steady 4 ohms or 1100 watts of output. So quality 4 gauge will more than likely work... But back to what I was saying. It is inadequate. And yes, if I had a t1500 I'd be running 1/0 to that bitch. And yes, Rockford created an amp that could potentially be more efficient... What a surprise that is....

I'm assuming OFC and a real 4g. If that isn't the case then well, that isn't the case then. So we agree to disagree, I say it is adequate, you say it isn't.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69