Second Skin Audio

SSA Xcon 18 going into a Cherokee

I just picked up an SSA Xcon 18, d1's, this past weekend in a trade....its already in the Jeep, but man is this box terrible. Particle Board. I dont know what dude was thinking. It has 3, 3.5inch pvc pipe ports that are 8 inches long and externally measure out to somewhere in the neighbor of 7.5 cubes... doesnt fit in the Jeep right, flexes like a gymnast on GHB, and just kinda sounds funny.

When we pulled the sub out to re-wire it to 2 ohms the sub was held in with like 6, 3/4 inch fine thread screws and 3 tubes of silicone, thankfully it cleaned up ok.

So a box upgrade is in order, I've built one box before and had so so results, this is one Id like to get right. I am just wanting to hear some opinions on tuning, size, style etc. Its going into a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, I plan on running my 2 APSM 1300's strapped at 2ohms (~1200 watts ish) until after the holidays when I can afford something a little more powerful (15oo to 1800wrms) and able to run at .5. I dont want a wall, its my daily driver, and I like having a back seat... I wanna get lowww and I listen to a vast variety of tunes.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

or not.

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

thanks Marquez, although I was kinda hoping for some suggestions from what people have good luck with, using a similar sub, in the same, or a similar, vehicle. Kinda some real world " I had good results with _____" kinda shit, as opposed to pulling the specs from SSA's sight. Ive kinda worked it out, and think I would like to do a Kerfed port box, sub up, port back.... I just need to start pulling tape and see exactly what kind of space I have and what the final layout will be....

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

If this is really a DD then you shouldn't even consider running an amplifier "daily" at 0.5ohm.... Find a better amplifier @ 2ohms... I'm running my 15" Xcon off a JL 500/1 ... thing beats and I'm running a sealed enclosure as well... :drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Thanks Strongman and Shogen....

And Shogen, why do you suggest not running at .5ohm daily? I have a redtop, plan on the big 3 as well, and my power wire runs are more than adequate for my planned power level......and I'm not trying to be a know it all or anything, if there is a good reason not to run at .5, I will modify my plans and when time comes for the new amp, I will adj. my search accordingly.

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Just a thought if you want some good box designs I would recommend http://www.ram-designs.com/

I have heard nothing but great things from the people he has designed boxes for and I just got mine built and my box builder said this thing is going to bang something silly. He even thought about building the same one for his trunk.

And Shogen, why do you suggest not running at .5ohm daily? I have a redtop, plan on the big 3 as well, and my power wire runs are more than adequate for my planned power level......and I'm not trying to be a know it all or anything, if there is a good reason not to run at .5, I will modify my plans and when time comes for the new amp, I will adj. my search accordingly.

I'm gonna be running mine at. .7 daily with box rise i'll probably never actually see that. So you should be fine. Best of luck

2 polk audio 4x6'skenwood head-unit 220 amp Mechman alt1979 Corvette

2003 corvette z06

alpine radio and the bose system that came stock

I'm gonna be running mine at. .7 daily with box rise i'll probably never actually see that. So you should be fine. Best of luck

Thanks guys! I was definately considering giving my dimensions to ram and telling him what id like and see what he comes up with. And thanks vettedude, I was thinking the same thing, if my electrical is up to snuff, and my amp choice is .5ohm stable, I cannot see any issues with running at .5 daily... i was thinking along the sames lines, because of box rise and what not the load wouldnt truly be as low as .5. Thanks again for the input guys.... once I get the rest of my gear purchased and get things going on this rebuild I'll put up a small build log, even though it wont be much to look at compared to most of what goes on around here... Im looking forward to this, should be a big step up from an Atomic Manhattan 15 runnin of a crappy crunch 1100w 2ch....

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO