Second Skin Audio

cubic footage vs watts ???

Okay, so I built the enclosure for my two Dayton 15" HO's, to have 7.50 net total (3.75 cubes for each sub). Works great, and so far as I know, I have never bottomed these subs out, on any note, even on those few ef ups, when I accidently maxed out my volume, or bass controls or something stupid.....

But when designing this box, I did tell the tech guy that I'd be running just shy of 500wts each to them.

Now, someday in the future (near ?) I hope to be bumping up my sub power to about 2000wts (1000 wt RMS each) They are only rated at 800wts RMS, so I know I will have to be smart with them.

The question is, is it possible that they might bottom out running 1000 wts, where they would not bottom out running 480wts ?

If so, it will probably be fairly easy to mod my box (take up some space) to bring it down to 7 or 6.5 cubes, then adjust my port length accordingly...

Just curious if you guys think that might be neccessary ?

Thank you,

Fish

Personally, I think you'll be just fine. Drop that new power in there, go see steve again and the SMD DD-1, get gains tuned, and rock out. Youll only be overpowering the subs by what, like 20 percent or so....I think itll wang out just fine... Actually I just did some googling, and saw a couple reviews of those subs... one fellow said he was running 1 in 3.75 cubes after displacements, putting over 1k rms to it, and he was super pleased with his results. Again, I say go for it, I think itll work out great.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Thank you Big.

Yea', I know 3.75 cubes per sub, is a little more than usual for most 15"s. I was not sure if the factory tech guy suggested that because I was not hitting them with too much power.... OR, because of the design of these subs (very tight suspension) but I suspect it probably has more to do with the latter. I forgot to ask him.

Anyway, my box is pretty freaking big... nearly 10 cubes, before sub, port, and bracing displacement ! Fit's like a glove.... errr, a condom though ;) LOL

Who the hell needs rear seats in a truck, anyway ? ;)

15a41570.jpg

Peace,

Fish

Personally, I think you'll be just fine. Drop that new power in there, go see steve again and the SMD DD-1, get gains tuned, and rock out. Youll only be overpowering the subs by what, like 20 percent or so....I think itll wang out just fine... Actually I just did some googling, and saw a couple reviews of those subs... one fellow said he was running 1 in 3.75 cubes after displacements, putting over 1k rms to it, and he was super pleased with his results. Again, I say go for it, I think itll work out great.

I like that set up a lot Fish, that's a way better view than I got in the vid when you were at Steves shop. I dig the 6.5s (?) down low, good use of otherwise wasted space. Man, if you ever come to Ohio, me and my son got a couple sweet little large mouth holes we could let you in on, lol. Did a lil more reading, general consensus sounds like those Daytons arent terribly picky about the size of their enclosures, so thats more that tells me you'll be fine. Post up a vid once you drop in double the power, cause your shit was bumpin pretty darn good in the vid I saw.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Thanks again Big. Those are actually Dayton 8" mid-bass drivers. I'm grabbing from 80hz, to about 250hz with them, which really takes a lot of strain off of my component mids up front. I love 3/4 way setups {mine is 3 way active + 1 way passive, between the mids and tweets}. Heck, if I had the $$$, I'd probably be crazy enough to try a 5 or 6 way setup. Much more difficult to setup, but if done properly, all the speakers work so much easier, with such a narrower range to reproduce.

Yea', it does pretty well. I know there are a TON of guys here with louder setups, and more bass.... but from an SQL standpoint, my setup does quite well :)

In fact, I'm getting ready to go beat on it a little bit right now ;)

Peace,

Fish

I like that set up a lot Fish, that's a way better view than I got in the vid when you were at Steves shop. I dig the 6.5s (?) down low, good use of otherwise wasted space. Man, if you ever come to Ohio, me and my son got a couple sweet little large mouth holes we could let you in on, lol. Did a lil more reading, general consensus sounds like those Daytons arent terribly picky about the size of their enclosures, so thats more that tells me you'll be fine. Post up a vid once you drop in double the power, cause your shit was bumpin pretty darn good in the vid I saw.

Port area and placement mean more than vol.

Just food for thought

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz