Sonic Electronix

First box built, thumping hard( pics included) and bottoming out..plz help

I have finally finished my first box designed from scratch... Its all built and thumping hard, it sounds great hitting lows and shaking the car. Currently running off a kicker zx.750.

This is just a beginners box so i can learn the skills of box making and calculating, i am hoping to upgrade to some good quality subs in the future.

Still have to add another battery and change my 2gauge big 3 to a 0gauge big 3, and stronger alt...

Dimensions(external)

H: 15.5in

W: 31.5in

D: 23.5in

Port

H: 15in

W: 4in

L: 12in

From memory it should be 5cu ft.

Here are some pics.

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

I am thinking about doubling the port length to get it down to 28hz, because i think now its at 32hz.

I dont understand how to calculate port size and length, i just need someone to explain that to me. All the volume of ports and all that... Its the only part i guessed with this box. If someone can help me understand how to calculate port it would be great.

Neways i hope you like the box and can provide some assistance.

Also thanks to everyone on this forums, helped me heaps.

Edited by melb-bass

Download Torres Box Calculator. It's stickied here.

This, you will use it multiple times for further upgrades etc, you cnt go wrong with it

Pioneer deh-80prs2 10" Tantric Sounds HD's Ported Box Tuned to 33hzSoundqubed 3500.1Hertz HSK 165Tantric Sounds 6.5" Coaxials80sq ft of MurdermatXs Power D3400 & D3100

Sky High Car Audio Cable Throughout

Well, first your port is only 14 if your box is 15.5 tall. If so that will throw you at 4.73 net after port, but before sub displacement. Your tuned at 40hz with 11.8in^2 per cube. Box is probably on the big side for those subs.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Audiobahn provided some specs for the subs, they need total 3.5cu. ft. each. and 3.2 after port... so with trunk space i have to cut back, which i did.

Unless i have thought of the concept wrong, I assumed each sub needed its air, so i kinda doubled everything i worked out for a single sub. Should i just make the box 3.5cu ft. total for both subs or does each woofer need its own air?

Sorry for all these questions... Noob wanting to learn.

Cheers guys

Can anyone help me...

When you have 2 subs, doesnt it mean the box is doubled, to give each sub the air, or does it just share the box..

So for example, 1 sub requires 2cu ft box, does that mean 2 subs need 4cu ft??? thats the way i went with this....is that correct

thanks

Audiobahn provided some specs for the subs, they need total 3.5cu. ft. each. and 3.2 after port... so with trunk space i have to cut back, which i did.

Unless i have thought of the concept wrong, I assumed each sub needed its air, so i kinda doubled everything i worked out for a single sub. Should i just make the box 3.5cu ft. total for both subs or does each woofer need its own air?

Sorry for all these questions... Noob wanting to learn.

Cheers guys

3.2 per seems big for a low line 12" to me, then again I suppose I could be wrong as I haven't dealt with much Audiobahn stuff.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

I was surprised myself with the amount of air it needs....But these do hit hard, harder than i expected.

Do you think if i make my port longer so its lower tuned, it would be good?

Also as i said, this is all just practice till i learn enough to go BIG.