Cheap line array project

how does one go about wiring that to an appropriate load?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Series parallel would be the best way. It really depends on the drivers impedance and the amount of drivers being used. You could build an array with 100 tweeters and midrange as long as the resistance load to the amp is correct. There is also power shading to consider with line arrays. Not so important in a budget array but for critical listening it would make a noticeable difference.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Series parallel would be the best way. It really depends on the drivers impedance and the amount of drivers being used. You could build an array with 100 tweeters and midrange as long as the resistance load to the amp is correct. There is also power shading to consider with line arrays. Not so important in a budget array but for critical listening it would make a noticeable difference.

so if i wire two 4 ohm woofers in series, do then now act as a single 8 ohm driver?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

so if i wire two 4 ohm woofers in series, do then now act as a single 8 ohm driver?

Since noone else answered, yes. :P

I'm designing a pair of 14' long, constant radius line arrays for a friend in Dallas. Using PE part # 299-012. Have not chosen tweeters yet. They will multiply the price of the arrays by many 1000s percent. They'll still be ricockulously cheap. The Panasonic 3x5s make a better line array speaker though.

I missed the buyout by a day. :( It's on hold for the time being anyways, as I bought my DJ speakers and working on paying them off. Then again, with these speakers, I may just discontinue to the project anyways. Keep us updated anyways :P

POTATO!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! in my basement i actually have 28 of the grs 4.5" woofers and 14 3/4" tweeter, and i was wondering if you had made these line arrays yet or are you just putting it off like me? if you have designed them i would LOVE the plans. thanks! check this vid to see the woofers and such.

please reply! i want to build these things!

IMG_1923_zpseba25f4f.jpgIMG_1275_zps14ef358e.jpg

Hey guys! in my basement i actually have 28 of the grs 4.5" woofers and 14 3/4" tweeter, and i was wondering if you had made these line arrays yet or are you just putting it off like me? if you have designed them i would LOVE the plans. thanks! check this vid to see the woofers and such.

please reply! i want to build these things!

Nah, funds are slow right now thanks to work (well, lack thereof), but it's in the works.

POTATO!

Same here. I'm working with this speaker nut who is amazing with boxes and crossovers so me and him are designing something together soon.

^^^ This is why I started hanging out over at Audiokarma. Those guys know more about home audio then I could hope to learn. Huge resource and none of the drama from that "diy" site. lol Good info there too though. I still can't start the Sony array's till after the new year but that is only a couple weeks away. I can tell ya I have been looking at a Topping amplifier to power them...

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Mfg&srchMfg=470

They won't see much more than 15w pc.

You plan on building a custom passive setup? That's my plan too. Easier on the budget for now. Active means more amplifiers.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived