2007 Chevy Tahoe - Big JL Audio Build (IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!)

Ha, I was once a JL audio fan back in the 90s. But what I've come to know, is that sometimes haters are right. JL is overpriced for what it is. If you got the money, spend it. JL is just overpriced entry level gear or overhyped so called high end gear depending on the line you choose. It's a name and they ride that name for as much as they can get.

For the same money as a 13w7, you can pick up a AA SMD18. Just sayin'.

That being said, I still love a good build, and that will get you mad respect in here. :popcorn: Build on!

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Got some work done on it yesterday...

My Goal For The Day (I accomplished all but mounting the Audio Control DDC):

ATA_4848.jpg

Running the wire for the camera:

ATA_4849.jpg

Reverse Trigger Tap:

ATA_4856.jpg

Finished Camera:

ATA_4863.jpg

JL Audio Premium RCA's Got Run To The Back:

ATA_4853.jpg

Headunit Installed (Trim piece is missing as I am redoing all the woodgrain in gloss black)

ATA_4865.jpg

JL Bass Knob Installed (Nice and Stealth)

ATA_4861.jpg

Plan is to take the headliner down and get the room sound deadened on my day off Wed. Updates then!

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

24" Black Slides/Nitto 420S Tires, McG 2/3 Drop, K&N Intake, Blacked Out Grille, Smoked Tail Lights, 6,000K HID Low's/Fog's, LED Reverse & License Plate Lights, 15% 3M Tint

Audio:

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, JL Audio ZR6.5" Components (Front and Rear), JL Audio ZR 8" Midbass (All 4 Doors in .75cu enclosures), JL Audio 13W7AE Subwoofers (2), JL Audio HD600/4 Amplifiers (4), JL Audio HD1200/1 Amplifiers (2), Audio Control DQXS, Audio Control DDC, DC Power XP300 Dual Alternator Kit, Optima Yellowtop Batteries (2), Shruiken BT120 Battery, JL Audio Power Wire, Speaker Wire, Premium RCA's, Etc, and a CRAZY ASS CUSTOM INSTALL!

UBL Thread:

2007 Chevy Tahoe - Big JL Audio Build

2006 BMW M3 (800HP Turbo)(Sold)

Digital Designs Setup

Sponsored By: Serious Autosport

The outside of that Tahoe is doing everything right. Wow is it sexy. Had to look up what a W7AE was. Its the "anniversary addition", commemorating ten years of not changing a damn thing. <_< Its amazing how JL flares up the hater in me, I swear its the only audio company that pisses me off. Anyway, M3 is sexy, and truck is off to a good start. I'm tuned in.

Yea they are Anniversary Editions. The only things changed is a black basket instead of silver, an Anniversary badge on the cone and you also have the option of ordering them with Lou's signature (owner of JL Audio) which were limited to 300 per model (8, 10, 12, 13) for an extra cost. The good news is they didn't charge anything extra for the AE (without the signature) so there is nothing to be upset about. :)

Ha, I was once a JL audio fan back in the 90s. But what I've come to know, is that sometimes haters are right. JL is overpriced for what it is. If you got the money, spend it. JL is just overpriced entry level gear or overhyped so called high end gear depending on the line you choose. It's a name and they ride that name for as much as they can get.

That being said, I still love a good build, and that will get you mad respect in here. :popcorn: Build on!

Your last statement is exactly my point, you can't compare an AA SMD18 to a W7. They are two totally different types of subwoofers, and while yes the SMD18 will blow the doors off a 13W7 in an SPL contest, I bet you in SQ the result is quite opposite. So to an SPL guy the W7 is a ripoff, to an SQ guy the SMD18 is a ripoff. Keep that in mind, different subs for different results ;) The W7 is a great all around woofer and if you really think about it really isn't overpriced since it will give not only great SQ but also great SPL as well.

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

24" Black Slides/Nitto 420S Tires, McG 2/3 Drop, K&N Intake, Blacked Out Grille, Smoked Tail Lights, 6,000K HID Low's/Fog's, LED Reverse & License Plate Lights, 15% 3M Tint

Audio:

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, JL Audio ZR6.5" Components (Front and Rear), JL Audio ZR 8" Midbass (All 4 Doors in .75cu enclosures), JL Audio 13W7AE Subwoofers (2), JL Audio HD600/4 Amplifiers (4), JL Audio HD1200/1 Amplifiers (2), Audio Control DQXS, Audio Control DDC, DC Power XP300 Dual Alternator Kit, Optima Yellowtop Batteries (2), Shruiken BT120 Battery, JL Audio Power Wire, Speaker Wire, Premium RCA's, Etc, and a CRAZY ASS CUSTOM INSTALL!

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

The outside of that Tahoe is doing everything right. Wow is it sexy. Had to look up what a W7AE was. Its the "anniversary addition", commemorating ten years of not changing a damn thing. <_< Its amazing how JL flares up the hater in me, I swear its the only audio company that pisses me off. Anyway, M3 is sexy, and truck is off to a good start. I'm tuned in.

Yea they are Anniversary Editions. The only things changed is a black basket instead of silver, an Anniversary badge on the cone and you also have the option of ordering them with Lou's signature (owner of JL Audio) which were limited to 300 per model (8, 10, 12, 13) for an extra cost. The good news is they didn't charge anything extra for the AE (without the signature) so there is nothing to be upset about. :)

Your last statement is exactly my point, you can't compare an AA SMD18 to a W7. They are two totally different types of subwoofers, and while yes the SMD18 will blow the doors off a 13W7 in an SPL contest, I bet you in SQ the result is quite opposite. So to an SPL guy the W7 is a ripoff, to an SQ guy the SMD18 is a ripoff. Keep that in mind, different subs for different results ;) The W7 is a great all around woofer and if you really think about it really isn't overpriced since it will give not only great SQ but also great SPL as well.

Regards,

Evan

That is why i have 4 12 W7's in the back seat of my car. For a SQ sub they are i feel priced very reasonablly. I can play loud(145.6 and only 3K of power)very clearly! At first i was very stand off because of the price but in the long run im glad i got them. Not alot of people can say that they have an SQ sub that has potential to reach in the 50's and sound damn good doing it too!! Im very intreged to see how this build turns out and what numbers you pull.

God luck!

Was able to work on the truck for a few hours today. Took the headliner down and dropped it off at my interior shop to have it wrapped in Black Suede. Also caulked all of the roof braces to the roof (to keep them from vibrating when the roof flexes) and began applying Hushmat to the roof. I hope to finish the Hushmat tomorrow then add a layer of Hushmat Megafoam on top before the headliner comes back on Friday..

Here are a few pics:

My Friend Dan Holding Up The Headliner For Me

danheadliner.jpg

Headliner Out

roof.jpg

End Of Day Photo

ata_4901.jpg

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Both of your rides are Cleeeaann!

I'm tuned in good luck on your build, JL has very good quality equipment you will prove all the haters wrong!

I doubt it. Lol! Most every JL hater has worked with JL a lot, I know I have. Cut the price of any JL product by one-third and then you'd have a price that (somewhat) matched their performance both in "SQ" and "SPL". That has nothing to do with taking away from their products, they do make great equipment. Its just way to overpriced for what you get (and even if it was one-third cost and in the same price field as their competitors, I still wouldn't buy it). But I'm still here waiting for more pics, anyone can appreciate a good build.

What you have to realize is these subs are NOT SPL SUBS. they are SQ subs. when someone breaks a 50 with them and does it sounding GREAT then thats what the money is paying for. I personally have 4 of them and hit 145.6 on less than half them power they can take. a slight power udgrade and ill be hitting 50's. BUT its not all about being able to hit the high numbers. Take the AA18's for example, cost roughly the same price but can clearly get louder, but not a clean and clear as jl. the price you pay for them is for the SQ.

But that being said everyone has there opinions and everyones entitled to dislike JL because of there price. but, clearly this guy likes it and so do it.

MORE PICS!!!

great start man, the headline must of been a pain huh.

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

first off OP, your tahoe is sexy as shit. the m3 is pretty nice too, it screams on the dyno. very impressive.

2nd, obviously everyone is putting in their 2 cents about it being JL, and that was expected. either way, i think this is going to be a very nice/clean build. looking forward to more progress.

but on what you said:

"Your last statement is exactly my point, you can't compare an AA SMD18 to a W7. They are two totally different types of subwoofers, and while yes the SMD18 will blow the doors off a 13W7 in an SPL contest, I bet you in SQ the result is quite opposite. So to an SPL guy the W7 is a ripoff, to an SQ guy the SMD18 is a ripoff. Keep that in mind, different subs for different results The W7 is a great all around woofer and if you really think about it really isn't overpriced since it will give not only great SQ but also great SPL as well."

(multi quote isnt working for me for some reason) now i have not used or heard the w7 or the SMD, but im sure there are plenty of people who would argue your statement. i've heard people say the SMD is the best sounding 18 they have ever heard. ive heard people say that it sounds amazing. and given that it would beat a 13w7 in SPL (the 15" smd), that is also not what it was intended for. its not a SPL sub. i'd really like to hear steve's input on your post.

What you have to realize is these subs are NOT SPL SUBS. they are SQ subs. when someone breaks a 50 with them and does it sounding GREAT then thats what the money is paying for. I personally have 4 of them and hit 145.6 on less than half them power they can take. a slight power udgrade and ill be hitting 50's. BUT its not all about being able to hit the high numbers. Take the AA18's for example, cost roughly the same price but can clearly get louder, but not a clean and clear as jl. the price you pay for them is for the SQ.

just curious. who are you referring to that breaks 50's with them?? a 145.6 is not a 150. was that score sealed, on the dash? my 2 level 4 12's did a 145.9 in the trunk, sealed on the dash. not 4 12's in the backseat. i feel the SQ of my subs is just fine for bass for less than half the price (per sub) and the same rated power handling (even though they can take a fair bit more) but the whoooole reason i even quoted you and replied to this is because of your 1 statement about a "slight power upgrade" lmao. really? you expect to gain 5 db's with a slight power upgrade?? please do this and send me a video of the results. hell, double your power and show me your results.

anyways, i really wasnt trying to be a hater or negative at all. just had to call bs on certain things. but as stated, OP, love the murdered out tahoe, and looking forward to seeing this. and i can respect the JL equiptment because it is quality product.

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

Archived