Measuring power by Clamping

TonyD'Amore

I can do exactly what this ad-1 is doing with my fluke current clamp and dmm and dual probe oscope. And when I say exactly, I mean exactly. So what do you think audio companies are doing to get a rating on a bench? Lol

Well...not exactly. You would also need a scope that could measure phase, a differential probe to measure the current, a distortion analyzer to find when 1% THD is reached, and loads that don't change impedance with temperature. A voice coil will change it's resistance in seconds when high power is applied. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's not real simple.

In the car audio industry im just assuming, but in other industries i know they have testing equipment for accurate measuring. And with accurate i mean extremely accurate, as in you can only dream about it. Equipment like this costs range from 40-120k $.

EDIT: If d'amore joins, he can tell us.

First off we must realize a couple of things:

1. Marketing is marketing... anyone remember all the lawsuits over the Mazda RX-8's horsepower claims in the first few years after it came out? How about hairdryers, vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers..ect. It's everywhere.

2. There are basically 2 types of companies that sell amplifiers these days: Companies that design and test their own stuff (20%), and companies that order their product off a "menu" from overseas(8O%) and then put their name on it.

I am not calling anyone out, we are all in the same business. I'm just stating facts, not my opinion.

No doubt the companies that design and test their own amplifiers have the necessary tools to properly test their amplifiers. These tools would be:

* An Audio Precision

* A very large or many smaller paralleled LINEAR power supplies.

* Non inductive load banks

This is a $10k minimum investment.

Some companies that outsource their product may also have these tools, and yet other companies just send an email overseas saying "how much power does this amp make".

BUT..even with the proper tools, ALL of the above company types can choose to rate their product however they want to because no one is policing it, and the customer's are typically younger people who don't have money or knowledge to waste on filing a lawsuit. Even home audio products are this way now. Look at some of these stereo receivers that say 100 watts X 7. What they mean to say is it will do 100 watts per channel, just not all at the same time. With all channels running they are more like 50 x 7.

Tony you are the man. I only have one problem with you and that is. That your gonna cause me to go broke bro.

Car is 2010 Scion Tc

Currently in car

Deck- Sony XAV-60 in-dash mobile video system

Speakers- Rockford Punch 6.5in comps in the front and coax in the rear

Subs- 2 Gen 3 Rockford P3 12's dual 4 ohm

Amps- Rockford P1000-1bd and P400-4 Alpine Mrp-f300 is in for P400-4 which is out to service

Wiring- all rockford nuff said

Enclosure- Dual 12in custom box by SRQ

Battery- Optima Yellow top with big 3 done

Sound Damping- All Dynamat products 1-2 layers throughout with liner on top

rockford-fosgate-logo.gif

Link to my build log- http://down4sound.co...=newpost&t=5275

Link to my youtube- http://www.youtube.c...ser/Jville140db

MECP Advanced CEA # 110531

BassBox 6 Pro for Box Building/Re audio box calculator

If you can hear the passenger it aint loud enough!!!!!!!

QUOTE (MickyMcD @ Sep 25 2009, 07:25 PM) "My system has 30 speaker terminals, that means shits wanging doggggg....."<!--QuoteEnd--></div>

Whats does CEA do? I thought it was better when you where getting CEA 2005 compliant testing?

CEA was formed to help consumers know what they are getting, and to help companies that have legit ratings compete in the industry. It was and still is a great idea IMHO. Unfortunately, for the consumer, being a member of CEA and adhering to their testing and rating standards is strictly voluntary. If you are a manufacturer that overrates your product why would you want to join CEA and adhere to their testing standards?

Whats does CEA do? I thought it was better when you where getting CEA 2005 compliant testing?

CEA was formed to help consumers know what they are getting, and to help companies that have legit ratings compete in the industry. It was and still is a great idea IMHO. Unfortunately, for the consumer, being a member of CEA and adhering to their testing and rating standards is strictly voluntary. If you are a manufacturer that overrates your product why would you want to join CEA and adhere to their testing standards?

seems like a big marketing tool too, raised the prices on a lot of amp

how far along is the AD-1?

Well it seems to me he's not trying to say that nobody else is capable of accurately measuring the true power of an amplifier with the right equipment and know how. He's just stating that the typical method that many people have been using is inaccurate because while we may use a meter and a amp clamp, we are not also using a multi channel scope with something that can measure the degree of phase etc. So I guess a clamp and a meter can just show you possibly when your making more or less power when we fiddle with our equipment, but the number we see isn't accurate. I feel if you look at the DD-1 you can do what it does with a very good scope, but in this day and age, it's all about convenience and efficiency. So if I can pay for something that cuts my tuning or measuring time in half or less, with the same or BETTER results than all the multiple pieces of equipment and math, then I'll take the simple route. That's just my 2 cents!

Bone Stock 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

I would assume then you guys are going to try and create a new standard?

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Archived