Measuring power by Clamping

TonyD'Amore

Okay then now this makes sense, you are putting a pure resistive load on the amp, making the phase angle 0 and power factor 1.0, but isn't this unrealistic considering a sub is what an amp is powering and that is an inductive load? Granted the power into a resistive load would be max correct?

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Okay then now this makes sense, you are putting a pure resistive load on the amp, making the phase angle 0 and power factor 1.0, but isn't this unrealistic considering a sub is what an amp is powering and that is an inductive load? Granted the power into a resistive load would be max correct?

So it's kind of like...measuring the maximum rms of an amp, making everything a constant? (phase angle, and constant resistive load)

Which, like you said, wouldn't exactly be that realistic in the world of car audio and power because things change in any and every situation

Trying to learn as well, in the middle of my engineering degree at UNCC

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab, 350 Vortec

Things to come at some point...

Build Log: http://www.stevemead...2200ds-133-ohm/

So it's kind of like...measuring the maximum rms of an amp, making everything a constant? (phase angle, and constant resistive load)

Which, like you said, wouldn't exactly be that realistic in the world of car audio and power because things change in any and every situation

So, if I am reading correct, he has a way to measure it's true output on a (unrealistic) constant load, and people are bitching because it "wouldn't exactly be that realistic in the world of car audio and power because things change in any and every situation"?

It sure seems to me like it would be the ideal way to test it for its potential max clean output, but then again, I am NOT "in the middle of my engineering degree at UNCC", so I probably don't know what I'm talking about... No offense intended.

But from what I see, I think Tony is about to shake up the industry. And, I think it's awesome!!!

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

So, if I am reading correct, he has a way to measure it's true output on a (unrealistic) constant load, and people are bitching because it "wouldn't exactly be that realistic in the world of car audio and power because things change in any and every situation"?

It sure seems to me like it would be the ideal way to test it for its potential max clean output, but then again, I am NOT "in the middle of my engineering degree at UNCC", so I probably don't know what I'm talking about... No offense intended.

But from what I see, I think Tony is about to shake up the industry. And, I think it's awesome!!!

I think I would have to agree with you. Haha

Maybe I should have reworded, I am only trying to learn as well, but in no way was I trying to come off as an ass and neither should you :shrug:

(it is the most ideal way untill now, untill someone will find a better way.)

The way Sundown and other companies test it, is a good way.

It's a standard, if you don't follow the standard you can come up with different numbers on the same test bench.

Usng a real woofer to test output of a amp isn't necessary, because in every other situation the numbers will be different.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Maybe I should have reworded, I am only trying to learn as well, but in no way was I trying to come off as an ass and neither should you :shrug:

Sorry dude, I even said "No offense intended"

I didn't mean to come off as an ass, my bad. Just trying to learn as well.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Sorry dude, I even said "No offense intended"

I didn't mean to come off as an ass, my bad. Just trying to learn as well.

Well then I apologize, just seemed that way reading it.

Back to the original topic, if this is how manufactures rate their amps, etc, it would be cool having a device like this in the palm of your hand.

If it's already made and produced, I would like to see pics/vids of it in action comparing to the "normal" clamping and volt meter way though. :D

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great post. I created my own poor man's Amp Dyno a few months ago. I also created a video to show the components needed to measure RMS watts. My complete setup cost:

1) Velleman HPS-50 oscilloscope/True RMS volt meter = $225

2) 800w non-inductive resistive load w/ aluminum enclosure = $100

3) Audio Authority Model 978 100A 13.8v Power Supply = $150 used

note: I've since added another bank of resistors so I can test stereo 2 ohm loads, 1 ohm mono loads and total loads up to 1600w

I'd really like a THD analyzer so I know exactly what distortion I'm getting, but for now it's close enough...Speaking of this, Tony, at what THD does the DD-1's light come on? Maybe I should get a DD-1 to use as my "THD analyzer"? For those who haven't priced a THD analyzer lately, they are THOUSANDS of $$$...not feasible for a poor man's test bench.

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

• 9 months later...

Archived