Second Skin Audio

painting the port

Actually, painting the port a texture more smooth than wood reduces the reynolds number of the duct, thereby reducing head losses inside the duct. This translates into higher pressures at the low pressure side of the duct as compared to the rougher duct. Also, a smoother duct resists transitions into turbulent flow more effectively than a rough surface duct. Once turbulence sets in, the boundary layer size is increased and effective duct area goes waaaaay down.

All things considered, you should have your ports as smoooth as possible, but you likely will not hear the difference except in rare cases.

Actually, painting the port a texture more smooth than wood reduces the reynolds number of the duct, thereby reducing head losses inside the duct. This translates into higher pressures at the low pressure side of the duct as compared to the rougher duct. Also, a smoother duct resists transitions into turbulent flow more effectively than a rough surface duct. Once turbulence sets in, the boundary layer size is increased and effective duct area goes waaaaay down.

All things considered, you should have your ports as smoooth as possible, but you likely will not hear the difference except in rare cases.

:good::trippy:

:good::trippy:

x2 :trippy:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ROCKFORDlogo.jpg

Yeah , that gave me a little bit of a headache lol, i guess smooth port is better on the meter then :P

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

ok, how would i get it glass smooth? alot of sanding? and what kind of paint? the AQ is actually out of the box right now(thanks to some dumb ass driver who turned in front of me from the wrong lane and got there car totalled, mine just the sub broke out of the box), so i am going to get the box finished.

Yeah , that gave me a little bit of a headache lol, i guess smooth port is better on the meter then :P

yessir, my testing confirms better scores with a painted port. But all my ports are done glass smooth.