what do u mean by "any wire for big 3"??? like any size wire? because if ur planning on going bigger than that Bzr, down the road, ur gonna need big 3 with 1/0 wire. if u go smaller now then your gonna have to upgrade it again down the road.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

what do u mean by "any wire for big 3"??? like any size wire? because if ur planning on going bigger than that Bzr, down the road, ur gonna need big 3 with 1/0 wire. if u go smaller now then your gonna have to upgrade it again down the road.

im not planning on having this car for more then 3 or 4 more months so this is the last system i will have in it

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

oh...well then save all of your wire for your next car. lol

oh dont worry ill be keeping all the factory wiring so when i get my new car i take my wire with me :lol:

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

big three with zero, if its for 3 months or 3 years, if you are going to do it, do it right, or dont bother. And I would most likely run bigger than 4 ga to that brz, especially if you are gonna run it at 1ohm..... I have American Bass 0ga ran into my brz1700 for the power and ground... it has 2 ga inputs, so obviously they want you to run 2ga, not 4, but its your car, run more current than you should through the 4ga, and at least youll know why you keep blowing fuses.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Electrical current must flow in a path, to and from the battery/alternator.

Therefore it will always be choked down by your smallest wire gauge regardless where it is.

The official (wikipedia) copper resistance of 4ga is 0.25mOhms/ft.

You said the fuse rating is 160a. So at potentential max current draw you could get a 0.8V drop across your 20feet of 4ga wire.

0.25m * 20' = 5mOhms.

160a * 5mOhms = 0.8V drop.

160a*160a*5mOhms = 128W of power loss in the wire.

Given, 4ga wire is only rated for maybe 100a so it might be slightly stressed by that 160a.

0ga will only be better.

In general, always use the larger wire for long cable runs. Less resistance, less voltage drop.

Edited by Wicks

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Use the 4 gauge for your big 3. Your stock alt isn't putting out that much current. 1/0 would be overkill for the big 3.

It would be a mistake to fuse your 4 gauge wire @ 150-180 amps. Fuse based off the wire rating, not the amp rating. The point of a fuse is only to keep the wire from burning up.... Use the 1/0 for your amplifier and ground. If you have a little 1/0 left over after your wire is all run, you can also run 1/0 off the battery to the frame. The charging lead off the STOCK alternator DOESN'T need to be 1/0 though.

There are a bunch of new members on the board lately giving out some poor advice. If you don't know exactly why you do things and what is acceptable, you shouldn't be giving out advice. The fact that 4 agree on bad advice is not what this forum is about or has ever been about.

Edited by Blackedout