Ok well i need a profesional opinion, even though i probably know that answer. My question is, do you think my alt is going bad OR my battery. I plan on getting a kinetik under the hood soon so i need to know if my battery is bad or if its my alt.

Ok here are the problems listed with the voltage at the time

1. Car rests over night, no radio or lights on, resting voltage is 11.9

2. Car starts when cold, no radio, turn on heat and rear defroster while idling, 12.2

3. Car is driving with radio on low and heat and rear efroster, RMP at maybe ~ 1500, 13.4

4. Car driving with radio on medium and heat on but NO deforster at 1500 RPM, 13.9

5. Playing "air forces" at max non clipping volume during bass, as low ass 11.8 with car at 1500 rpm

6. Just turned off car and ONLY radio on at low volume, starts at 12.7 and goes to 11.8 within 10 sec.

7. Starting of car with cold battery 9.8 - 10.2

8. Average voltage while driving with heat and efroster off and radio at medium, 13.9 -14.2

So is this the sign of a bad battery or bad alt.

BTW this is in a 1998 cadillac catera with a stock 120 Amp BOSH alt.

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

take positve battery lead off if car die's it's bad alt if dosn't probly bad batt but still have it load tested either way

Hmm that does seem like a good way to test, sure its save tho? Wont mess up any onboard computers or anything?

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

yeh get everything check out at a local shop. by the looks of things it might be the battery .....

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Chances are your alt isnt big enough to replinish what you pull from the battery with the system/accessories. If the batt floats down from 12.8v to 11.9v overnight then it's definately either weak, or needs to be float charged. You should be able to fully charge it and it should hold 12.6-12.8 for at least a few weeks in cool weather...

XS POWER Batteries, Chargers & Accessories

888-4XS-POWER