Second Skin Audio

How to tune a 4th order

Just what the title says. I know its different from a ported box. like whats a decent good low number to tune to? and how much port do i need per cube?

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

Depends on what kind of frequency response you're after. Are you wanting a wide bandwidth that's fairly flat from say 30-70hz? Or would you rather be more efficient(louder) over a slightly narrower passband...say 25-50hz? You can fine tune the sealed and ported chamber sizes, as well as the port area and tuning frequency, in order to get what you're after.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Well i would like to have a more Narrow passband. 25-50hz sounds good. I understand how to do ported box designs, but i wanted to kind of test out how i like 4th orders set ups. But i cant find any real clear ways to design a box. Thanks for your help. The sub im working with is a DC lvl 4 15" with lvl 5 soft parts. It it just as easy as finding out what the suggested sealed and ported volumes are and put them together. haha im sure its not but i dont know.. i Wanna learn! ha

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

You do it with this free software:

WinISD

A little learning curve but it lets you calculate, sealed, ported and bandpass: 4th order and 6th order.

Enclosures are built for your specific sub. Be warned build and align properly 4th order enclosures is hard, you have to do it perfectly.

Edited by Joe X