Sonic Electronix

Hey fellers, alright well im not very experienced in car audio, i know most of the basics but still learning for the most part, so i decided I was going to get another car stereo system (DC level 3) and didn't want to clip the sub to death, so being smart about this i went to my local radio shop about 10 miles away and ask them how much it would be, then shortly after i asked "Do you set the gains by ear?" They replied Yeah we listen to it and set the gains, then i replied Oh you don't use a O-Scope? They said oh we use that to. What a shame. I left the shop quickly laughing because the store told me just want i wanted to hear, not what they do. Really wish i could find a quality shop around here that doesn't always give me a load of bs. Anyways was just wondering any other stories if somethin like this happened to you at your local shop would love to read about it. Not like i have anything better to do right now haha.

I was an installer from 1987 - 1995 and worked for 5 different shops in the San Diego area and the 5th one (out of those 5) I worked for was the only shop that had a scope. From 1995 - 2009 I worked for two different manufacturers both in the top 10 of largest american car audio brands and during that time, I never saw anyone pull out a scope to adjust the gains on any of the cars that went to SEMA or CES. Not really any point to this, just saying.

Lol, so your basicly telling me there is no point in setting my gains with a o-scope or DD-1?... haha i disagree :) but maybe that's just me.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Not properly setting gains does not indicate skill or knowledge, just that the equipment was never used to its true potential accurately.

Edited by TeamHT

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Hey fellers, alright well im not very experienced in car audio, i know most of the basics but still learning for the most part, so i decided I was going to get another car stereo system (DC level 3) and didn't want to clip the sub to death, so being smart about this i went to my local radio shop about 10 miles away and ask them how much it would be, then shortly after i asked "Do you set the gains by ear?" They replied Yeah we listen to it and set the gains, then i replied Oh you don't use a O-Scope? They said oh we use that to. What a shame. I left the shop quickly laughing because the store told me just want i wanted to hear, not what they do. Really wish i could find a quality shop around here that doesn't always give me a load of bs. Anyways was just wondering any other stories if somethin like this happened to you at your local shop would love to read about it. Not like i have anything better to do right now haha.

I was an installer from 1987 - 1995 and worked for 5 different shops in the San Diego area and the 5th one (out of those 5) I worked for was the only shop that had a scope. From 1995 - 2009 I worked for two different manufacturers both in the top 10 of largest american car audio brands and during that time, I never saw anyone pull out a scope to adjust the gains on any of the cars that went to SEMA or CES. Not really any point to this, just saying.

Lol, so your basicly telling me there is no point in setting my gains with a o-scope or DD-1?... haha i disagree :) but maybe that's just me.

I am not judging any procedures, I am stating the fact that one of the largest car audio companies in the world, one that is a topic of discussion on this forum all the time, does not use an o-scope to set gains on the CES and SEMA cars. I choose not to name the company because I don't want to start a whole manufactures flame thread. Using a scope is always better assuming that the person setting them knows how to use a scope but obviously some people have the ability to set by ear with decent results.

I work for a commercial audio company now and we always set gains with a RTA and mic.

Daewoo Leganza with Commodore 64 installed in the dash.

wait until you go to the flea market, motherfukers will try to sell you their kid if they have to make a sale.

This is not true I've been installing at a flea market since I was 13. Well I was being taught when I was 13 . Been doing it since. And I'm now 19 and still installing there every weekend. And I use a dd-1 .

wait until you go to the flea market, motherfukers will try to sell you their kid if they have to make a sale.

This is not true I've been installing at a flea market since I was 13. Well I was being taught when I was 13 . Been doing it since. And I'm now 19 and still installing there every weekend. And I use a dd-1 .

I have to disagree my dad worked at a shop in the Flea and the shit they sold up their was ridiculous. Not only was it cheap but they sold it like it was top of the line. I have seen guys walk in there and spend money on a bunch of equipment just to get a vibrating trunk and a whole lot of bass with no mids and highs. Not to mention the advise given, corners cut and used shit sold as new. Dude was right though I have seen them go to their own cars and rip equipment out just to make that sell. It's a different world at the Flea Market most of the people that go there really don't know anything about car audio all they want is bass and don't care how it happens. A lot of Budget brands get sold as high end over there and its really funny to me.

This is not to say you can't go and get a good system installed you just have to be extra careful and check everything you're buying. Know what you're getting into before you walk in the door.

Edited by IBleedMusick

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

It gets boring reading about people who don't know anything make fun of others who don't know anything.

I don't think anyone got this.

I know

forever-alone-guy-painting.jpg

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?