Sundown Audio

Got my PSI Passive Radiator -- What For ?!

So I got up with Dave about making me a cool passive radiator... why, you might ask ? Well... first, I don't make passive radiators. Second... Dave does and he does good work. Third... fitting a port in the box for one SA-8 is a chore and very often not practical. So... the solution is a PR of course ! Dave can make these for other applications as well -- check them out at PSI Car Audio.

On the the photos :

CIMG5600.JPG

CIMG5601.JPG

CIMG5602.JPG

CIMG5603.JPG

* Adjustable mass for even lower tuning... we expect to be in the mid 30s with stock mass on this PR.

CIMG5604.JPG

The PR really looks great -- Dave's usual high quality work.

I'll get pictures and data up once I have time to make the box. This may become an officially suggested product for usage with SA-8s if it works as well as I think it will!

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Will there be an 8" passive radiator (pic looks like a 10")? I would most likely use this under a rear truck seat which seams to be the only place I regularly install 8" drivers. And for good reason too, its cause they fit! If you can make an 8" passive radiator, hell one that matches the softparts of an SA-8, then I know I would be buying up plenty just for easy of installation. I hate trying to figure the exact airspace of underseat truck enclosures. And I think I know some people that wouldn't mind running some Sundown rather than the W7s 8s they want or already have.

Edited by cc_audio

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

An 8" PR would be pushing it for an 8" woofer -- typically you want the PR a bit larger than the woofer. For applications where the user won't abuse it too badly an 8" PR may be fine... I may work with Dave on that in the future and at least test it.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

An 8" PR would be pushing it for an 8" woofer -- typically you want the PR a bit larger than the woofer. For applications where the user won't abuse it too badly an 8" PR may be fine... I may work with Dave on that in the future and at least test it.

Yeah, I know. I've used PRs in home theater and a general rule that I like to follow is ~40% more cone area than the powered driver. But there are exceptions based on PR performance. As long as cost was say two 8" PRs for the price of one of the new SA-8s, I for sure would be using these.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Yeah, I know. I've used PRs in home theater and a general rule that I like to follow is ~40% more cone area than the powered driver. But there are exceptions based on PR performance. As long as cost was say two 8" PRs for the price of one of the new SA-8s, I for sure would be using these.

I'll check with Dave on it and see what we can come up with on making 8" versions.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

CIMG5606.JPG

CIMG5608.JPG

Also took a quick video of the first time powering it up on the test bench... that is uploading. Just a quick one to show the sub and PR moving. I will get more and testing once I drop it in my car.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

Just a video of them moving -- not a ton of output sitting in free air like that + I was playing things just to make them move for testing. We threw it in a corner afterwards and it was pretty impressive :)

Can't wait to drop it in my car !

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg