Second Skin Audio

New to box building

Which number? The port sizes?

Best sizes I've come up with based on experience.

i suppose it is largely dependent on application. if you were building a burp box or perhaps some larger applications with multiple 15's or 18's on high power, those numbers definitely sound appropriate. it seems somewhat excessive for a small daily beater, though.

when you get up into the 16-20 range it becomes incredibly difficult to tune low. this isn't really a problem for burp boxes because they're usually tuned higher. but for daily beaters, tuning below 35 hz would require a really long port and a big box. doesn't quite seem practical.

feel free to disagree, because i am in no way saying i'm right. just kinda thinking out loud.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, So I finally talked to my friend again.

I told him he'd only get one 15 to work good, so he decided that he wants 12's instead.

He's got a thing for two subs... idk. :trippy:

What I'm wondering is which two 12's would be good for him.

He's going for SPL, and wants to go cheap.

I personally don't do cheap, so I have no idea what sounds good, so is there anyone out there with experience on some cheap good sounding subs?

I saw these kickers but honestly, I don't know.

Suggestions would be helpful. Max price range for the two subs would probably be about $200.00

Keep in mind my member title in this post, as I got no real experience with Kicker, other than hearing them in horrible prefab boxes.. So take of this as you will.

He allready got the 15" subs? Then I would also suggest going with the one 15", as the measurements barely meets the recomended size for a single one.

When you say he wants SPL does he just want loud on songs or does he plan on competing?

Anyways, this is how I would try to do it for daily:

Kicker15singlecab.jpg

-I used your max dimentions on height and dept, and 50" width giving the port room to breathe. As you can see there is a cutout for a 6" aeroport at the closest end. Assuming he gets one with at least 16" length I would try it full lenght at first (about 36hz tuning on my box) and cut it with 1 inch increments if deeded.

- You might want do add something to keep the port steady aswell.

- For saving on displacement and money I drew it with 3/4in wood in mind.

- There should be some bracing between the front and the back of the box as they have large surfaces.

- To take the bracing one step further you can add something that will push on the back of the magnet on the rear wall (but dont cover the pole vent). I'd say up to 1/16 of an inch between the mounting edge of the woofer and the front plate would be sufficient as the woofer rests on the "block" before tightening.

- The front is transparrent for illustrating purposes only.

-And ofc. you add a top plate :)

By the way, if there is possible to gain room by angeling the front do it!

Edited by zxsonnyxz