99 Jeep Cherokee. 4 15's in a C pillar wall

looking good, get some vids up lol

If I can get borrow a good camera and the rain lets up a little, I'll try to get one up tomorrow. I've tried taking vids with my phone....HA. You cant hear anything and you cant see any flex :(

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

• 3 months later...

I've been doing a bunch of work recently and have been planning huge changes for a while now, but haven't gotten around to updating this log. Big changes are coming. Since I last posted I have decided to completely redo my entire system. I'm a senior in high school now and want to do a huge senior build as part of my independent study engineering project. I've only had the 18s for a few months now but am ready to go even bigger. When I first got the 18s I knew I'd want to wall off later down the road, but I had intended on using those same 18s in my wall. But i got a crazy good deal on 4 Obsidian oa15s and decided to go with it. I'll end up selling the 18s soon once I find a buyer. But anyway, on to the new equipment

The 15s. Two have a little extra glue from the recones, and one has a bunch of white stuff dried on the cone which I'm hoping will come off...although I haven't tried anything on it yet. But they all are in great shape mechanically. They have the SPL coils and are v1s

image_zps400fb05f.jpg

I plan on running them in a ported c pillar wall tuned to 30 hz, designed strictly for playing decaf and the other stuff I listen to. I will go to comps and meter it just for fun, but numbers arent the goal here.

Next, I bought a Popcorn sounds AX6000.1 This amp is really special because instead of having an opti6k board like all the other ax6000s made, it has the board from an Addictive Audio 500.1 "THE F1X". Its one of 12 made, and is in absolute perfect condition. Its beautiful.

image_zps3ed4c6d8.jpg

image_zps29aee51f.jpg

image_zps54ef08bc.jpg

and then I bought some toolmaker dual inputs for it. Definatly wanna make sure this amp gets all the power it needs

image_zps4c57d474.jpg

image_zps1db76516.jpg

and some knukonceptz kandy 1/0 The amp is a bright purple/pink...something I've never seen on an amp before. In fact i dont recall ever seeing any brightly colored amps...all of them are either black or silver or gray or some other boring color...so I went all out and bought neon wiring to take it even further.

and then I started to prepare for the wall. Took out the headliner to deaden the roof with some fatmat 80 mil. Gonna end up doubling the roof and still have plenty left over to do all the doors, hatch, and quarter panels.

image_zps22463478.jpg

and thats all I've gotten to so far. Will soon be selling the 18s and start working on the wall so I'll try to keep this more up to date than in the past.

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

• 1 month later...

It seems like I've gotten far behind on updating my build log again... Anyway, here is the progress! I haven't been able to do much because I'm still in high school, play varsity soccer, and work 35 hours a week. On top of that my parents wouldn't let me work on my Jeep until all my college applications and forms were completely finished. All thats done! I'll be going to Virginia Tech next year for mechanical engineering. But now back to my build.

photo21_zps6a9a7c71.jpg

I got hella equipment just waiting to go inside the Jeep

photo11_zpsaf948e06.jpg

As you can see the Obsidians had a bunch of excess glue smudged on the cones from where the previous owner reconed them. I decided to black everything out so I plastidipped the cones. I really like the new look. And it will go well with the interior of my Jeep because EVERYTHING is going to be getting blacked out.

photo3_zps2453ca43.jpg

Designed my box, and drew it up in AutoDesk Inventor + Visual Studios.

photo4_zpsbfacf47d.jpg

The rendering above is just a simple orthographic view...no hidden lines or anything. What you can't see is that it is going to be double layered birch on all faces...so 1.5" thick anywhere you look. Plus hella bracing, 45s, and all thread for even more bracing haha.

photo5_zpsed734cab.jpg

And today I got all my cuts done and am ready to construct the box. I will be building the box this weekend...hopefully have it in the Jeep by Tuesday. From there all I will have left to do is paint, beauty panels, and wiring/installation. I will be building an amp rack with a battery cage for 4 Kinetik HC600s in the back. Also purchase another 50' of Sky High 1/0 OFC, fuses/holders, lugs, heatshrink etc for installation.

photo1_zps12444049.jpg

Sooo yeah...thats where I'm at right now

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Nearly finished building up the basic frame of the box. Bottom, side, back, and top plates are all doubled up, glued and screwed in secure. Tomorrow is going to be busy for me...won't get to do as much work as I'd like, but Monday I'm going to try and get my bracing and 45s in, and start on my front baffle

photo2_zpsce9cf9da.jpg

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Got my front baffle done today

photo22_zpsc1f5fed4.jpg

I have to use a jigsaw and follow a traced circle to do all my cut outs...doing that 4 times really makes me want to invest in a router. Or at least fab up a circle guide attachment for my jig...

photo32_zps99724e5d.jpg

aaand done.

photo41_zps0d76dd1e.jpg

Port is a 12x12 square port, 18" long giving the box a 29 hz tuning.

photo33_zps518c84f7.jpg

Front baffle is the last thing to go on. Meanwhile, I am working on the inside of the box. Still need to cut my 45s, but I'm thinking of waiting till Wednesday when I go back to school to get that done. I have access to a really nice table saw that I can use to make those in my woodworking class

photo51_zps2b0849e7.jpg

And just for fun...this is who keeps me company while I work

photo42_zps715d5212.jpg

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

I'm going to be painting my entire box with roll-bedliner. Inside and out. I know that some people would never use bedliner on the inside of a box, because its gritty texture causes air resistance...but those are the same people who spend hours and hours fiberglassing and sanding to gain .1 db... more power to those people, but I'm not concerned about the meter at all haha. Bedliner is extremely tough, and will also seal the inside of the box up. Also, I really like the texture of bedliner...It looks great and covers up any flaws

photo12_zps0ae5b271.jpg

Interior of the box is done

photo24_zpsa9b2ed4b.jpg

And the front baffle

photo34_zps24a51324.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on this stuff to dry so I can start on other sides...

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

I got my front baffle mounted

photo5_zps8a4d7a6b.jpg

Next on the list was bracing. As you can see above, I am using 2x 1.5" wooden dowels to brace up-down and side-side because Home Depot only carries 3/4" all thread rods in 36", and I would need a lot more than that for side-side bracing and just a little longer than that for top-bottom bracing. But for front-back bracing I am using 4 3/4" threaded rods.

photo1_zps899b896d.png

photo35_zps14e38010.jpg

^^excuse the dotted lines along the edges, thats just woodfiller from where I am filling in my countersinks so there are no visible screw heads.

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Archived