Sundown Audio

will this Audiopipe amp be ok for these subs?

CorNut

Christmas is coming and I'm just piecing together an amp and some subs for my nephew who just got his car/license. When Best Buy had the deal for 2 12" polks and a Fierce Audio dual ported enclosure for $100 I bought it for him. I know the box isn't great and the amp I am looking at isn't great either but he's at the age that he only cares about volume. The subs are Polk Audio DXI124 DVC subs so the pair can be wired to 1 ohm and they are 360w RMS 720w peak. The amp I'm looking at is an Audiopipe APSM-1300 which states it can handle 1000w@1ohm. The amp is pretty small size-wise so I'm skeptical if it can handle that but from some reviews people claim it's pretty true to it's rating and fairly clean for the price, what do you think? VM has it for $109 shipped so paired with the $100 box and subs it'll only be $200 total invested which I wouldn't mind dropping on him for Christmas, what do you think?

I'm willing to drop maybe $150 on an amp, but that's max. I know it's asking a lot with my budget but I'm trying to make due with what I have available. Do any of you have a better recommendation or should I go ahead and buy the Audiopipe? I appreciate your help, I spoil myself when it comes to car audio so I haven't really had experience with this more budget minded stuff. My car sports a kappa vq sub with jl monoblock and truck has an RE sub & infinity amp but my nephew wouldn't even appreciate the more expensive stuff tbh. Anyway, let me know what you think.

for reference if you have experience with the audiopipe amp, if it will save you the search the Polk DXI124 DVC subs it will power are 360w RMS, 27 - 200 Hz, 88db, and I'm planning on running the amp @ 1ohm

my buddy bought that mini amp and he had problems as soon as he hooked it up. woofers wouldn't even play normally. something along the lines of the subs would just warble. i dont remember exactly.

wow really? I've heard mixed reviews although mostly positive but its been hard finding a review from somebody running it at 1 ohm to see if it holds up, but for the most part its been positive although I only seem to find 2 ohm systems which don't confirm what I'm looking for

IMO, with your budget, that amp will do you fine. You can get it ay vminovations for ~$109 shipped. If you have any problems with your amp they will take care of you.

or you can get the ap1500d for $142.00 shipped. No the best amps in the world, but sounds like you know this.

IMO, with your budget, that amp will do you fine. You can get it ay vminovations for ~$109 shipped. If you have any problems with your amp they will take care of you.

or you can get the ap1500d for $142.00 shipped. No the best amps in the world, but sounds like you know this.

1500d wouldn't be too much? the subs are supposedly 720w RMS(360w each) for the pair. I figured the 1300 pushing 1000w to the pair would be about right since I'm sure when running 1 ohm it isn't truly 1000w anyway, assumed it'd be about right? I don't mind spending the extra $33 btw if it's going to truly be better. Would it be night/day better to even a 16 yr old who has no sense to know true audiophile type audio yet? I'll teach him in time, but I need to take baby steps but if that extra $30 safely gains an extra decibel or 2 I'll bite for sure

edit* btw, VM inno is where I was already looking to purchase it, and yes I know they aren't the best amps. I'm from Portland, OR so I grew up with the original Phoenix Gold amps since half of my friends worked there 20 years ago lol. I still have an original Power 500m and first Gen Punch Power sitting in my garage but there is no way he'll be gettin those goods. The box is too big for my truck and way too heavy for my little Nissan

• 2 weeks later...

well I researched the RF amp and it doesn't run 1 ohm so I went ahead and purchased the audiopipe. I found a $5 off coupon for VM and also a site that offers cashback on VM purchases where I got another $4.14 credit so I ended up getting it for just under $100 shipped, even if the thing doesn't hold up @ 1ohm I'm only out $100. I'll see how it sounds at Christmas! I already received the amp, I ended up just purchasing it the day after my last post since I read the RF amp I researched that WTB posted didn't handle 1 ohm. I'll try to remember to post how it sounds sometime after christmas

well I researched the RF amp and it doesn't run 1 ohm so I went ahead and purchased the audiopipe. I found a $5 off coupon for VM and also a site that offers cashback on VM purchases where I got another $4.14 credit so I ended up getting it for just under $100 shipped, even if the thing doesn't hold up @ 1ohm I'm only out $100. I'll see how it sounds at Christmas! I already received the amp, I ended up just purchasing it the day after my last post since I read the RF amp I researched that WTB posted didn't handle 1 ohm. I'll try to remember to post how it sounds sometime after christmas

Mine's ran at 1 ohm for the past year with no issues, mine occasionally shut off for a few seconds on very hot days, but other than that it was fine. :shrug:

POTATO!

Archived