Second Skin Audio

diagnosing sub problem

dcofer

I just acquired an Alpine type R that is not functioning, The cone moves smoothly so it does not appear to be seized, but when I measure the coil impedance I get one coil as an open circuit and the other in the megohms.

unfortunately the leads are woven into the spider so if they were broken it would be down where I cant see.

I was curious if anyone had any other tests/suggestions for diagnosing this problem. I am labeling it a lost cause based on my observations but if anyone has thoughts on this pleas let me know.

Thanks

could be blow, even a sub with 1 shot coil can still play.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

could be blow, even a sub with 1 shot coil can still play.

If one reads nothing and the other is a million ohms, it shouldn't be playing anything.

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

I use my Fluke 87 every day for work to test dead and live electrical equipment before I work on it so I know my fluke is good =p.

So I decided to disassemble the type-r since the glue they used was terribad and the whole think was taken apart with a butter knife and a screwdriver :pardon: .

What I found was that the coil had rubbed somehow and the coil wire insulation had rubbed off and I am able to check continuity to those bare locations. also the spider appears to be split from the outer edge to the center in two locations.

This does not explain both coils being open circuit so not sure on all the problems.

Does anyone know where I can look into to get a re-cone of some sort for the Alpine Type-R motor and basket? If so that would be awesome, or any thoughts on how I could possibly fix it if possible.

Thanks

EDIT:

Photos

here is the coil rub:

56f6c88b.jpg

fdf6bf65.jpg

320db5c7.jpg

Archived