Sonic Electronix

I dont really understand this. How is prefab junk if its just wood wrapped in fabric?

If Im going to home depot to buy wood, wouldnt I technically be just using the same thing? and on top of that, it wouldnt look as nice either lol.

Because prefab is usually made of junk wood. And they also make sacrifices in acoustical quality & output to cater to a market that wants something small/compact/cheap.

There is a bunch to learn in terms of design - but all you need to know (for this thread at least) is that they are too small to be able to sound good.

I have my own box coated in truck bed liner and I like it better than carpet. You can also paint, cover in vinyl, or any other finish you want if you do your own vs. being stuck with generic brown / grey carpet

Edited by SnowDrifter

I dont really understand this. How is prefab junk if its just wood wrapped in fabric?

If Im going to home depot to buy wood, wouldnt I technically be just using the same thing? and on top of that, it wouldnt look as nice either lol.

Prefabs are mass produced and not built specifically for your sub.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Thanks for the info guys. Im always looking for ways to get louder so any information helps.

I just got the second P1 I have yesterday, and to be honest I was kind of dissapointed. I took out a 15" Memphis Audio Power reference sub, and put in the P1. (i started with 2 memphis') The first time I replaced one of the Memphis', my sound difference was AMAZING. couldntve been more impressed, but as I got the second P1. There was almost no difference at all. Hoping a ported box will get me where i want to be.

I wouldn't go so far as to say just cause it's a prefab, it's junk and won't sound good, or isn't big enough to sound good, etc. I had an excellent experience with my old SubZone Z-series prefab box, that mofo pounded with my ID12's, and even more with my SA-12's. I've had it now for about 4yrs and it hasn't fallen apart on me, no leaks, looks good and performs very good. It's got a double baffle, flush mount sub openings, piano black painted baffle, it did all I expected it to and then some. The problem is that most people just buy one simply because it's openings are large enough for their subs, not taking into consideration the air space needed and tuning of the box. That box I bought was chosen not only cause it looked nice as shit, but also cause it's internal volume and tuning was exactly what the manufacturer suggested for my subs. But most prefabs aren't built as good as the Z-series, with a prefab you have no idea what went into the assembly of the prefab, they could have simply used elmers glue for all you know, if they used any at all. You're just left to take their word on the volume, tuning, and quality of the materials used and quality of assembly.....all of these things you control when you build your own.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f