Sonic Electronix

Are amps tested for true resistance?

When hooking an amp up should you go by the true resistance (like ohms after box rise) or the resistance of the original setup.

For example:

Should I wire my subs for a .5 ohm load for a 1 ohm stable amp considering the box rise will make it over 1 ohm or wire them up to 1 ohm even though the box rise will take it even higher?

And should an amp that is stable at 1 ohm be stable as long as the true resistance (after box rise) is at or higher than 1 ohm?

Currently in the stages of building my first setup so i'm pretty new to the technical things.

I don't know much about it, but the amp still sees that low impedance especially on music where impedance rise is different over a wide range of frequencies.

If you were just burping a single frequency and knew what the impedance rise was you would be much safer wiring it to match that. And impedance rise will also change after you wore down to compensate.

Start out boxy, shape as you move along.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

I don't know much about it, but the amp still sees that low impedance especially on music where impedance rise is different over a wide range of frequencies.

If you were just burping a single frequency and knew what the impedance rise was you would be much safer wiring it to match that. And impedance rise will also change after you wore down to compensate.

I see what you mean, I think i understand a little more.

Thanks!

Rise should not be used in daily setups as a saving factor. Fact of the matter is, rise saves equipment all over the place.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Rise does not change whatever nominal load you wired to.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

from my own experience: you can wire 30% below nom load and be safe. But you need to do your homework on it first

I have my (4 ohm stable) amp wired to 2.8 ohms and the lowest load my amp sees is 4.1 ohms @ 26hz

Wiring to .5 and hoping the amp will see 1 ohm is really pushing it and I wouldn't reccomend it

Archived