Sonic Electronix

One woofer hot.... The other not why is that?

ok I have two dual 2 zcons and I just built a new box for them. I have them wired in series to achieve a 2 ohm load. They are resting at 2.1 ohms with a straight reading. I put the new box in hooked them up to the amp and played it for 20 seconds or so and instantly notice the no good smell. So i went back and felt the woofers to see if the dustcaps were hot or warm and one was extremely hot and the other was as if it wasnt even played at all.

What I have done so far. I have pulled off the wires and checked each individual coil and it all reads a perfect 2.2ohm per coil.

I am curious if my speaker wire lengths all need to be the same being that the amp is a mono im not exactly sure on that aspect but I know something is wrong somewhere. I did not do this in my other box.

The box is a 6th order so its pretty much a mirrored box and all dimensions are the exact same.

HELP ME!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

I had this problem with my L7's wired the same you have. My problem was the woofer that was getting hot was at a weird ohm load bc I hooked up the coils wrong so I say double check that. After I looked up the wiring diagram supplied by kicker and wired my subs again paying more attention I never had that problem again.

maybe 1 has slight coil rub? causing extra friction?? free air both woofers and see if u hear or smell anything strange..

length of speaker wire shouldnt matter unless u have 1 lead 2ft long and 1 lead 6ft long..that might cause a issue then

Wouldnt even cause an issue then!

Good suggestion, free air both on low wattage one at a time and listen for a problem...

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

i have both speakers wired exactly how the12volt.com shows how to wire in series/ the - on speaker A terminal 1 is wired to the + on terminal 2 then the - on terminal 2 is jumped out to connecting amp the terminal 2 + is also jumped out to hook up to amp the same is repeated for speaker b basically wiring up to 4 and bringing down to 2.