Second Skin Audio

sundown 4th order lown end monster or fart cannon??

hey everyone im try to decided on if i should be a 4th order box for my sundown sa-12's here are some specs on the box that i have drawn any input is appreciated

Should I build it or not ??

its going to be a 1:2 chamber ratio

rear is going to be 1.28 after displacements

front is going to be 2.76 cf tuned to 36.09

box peaks at 33.79 at 6.69 db

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

That seems like it is tuned waaaayyyy low and too small for a 4th order.

Remember, it's not the same as a ported box.

I'm not a bandpass pro, so I will wait for someone to suggest a tuning frequency, but it seems like mid-high 40s / low 50s is what most people tune at

Edited by SnowDrifter

it looks a lil small to me also and the port looks huge and tuned kinda low also. i don't know alot about 4ths but from all i have seen never seen a port that big or tuned that low and id bet the sealed need to be larger and that would mean the ported would to but if im right and the ports to big that will free up some space :shrug: and i also heard 40's to low 50s tunning

edit: just taking a stab in the dark but prob at least 1.5 sealed be better at like 2 cubes prob and double that ported tuned to like mid 40s as i said just a stab in the dark

Edited by Jd1102

yeah those subs recommend 1.00 ft^3 sealed -- F3 of 44 Hz* For SQ and space limited applications per sub, thats from the sundown sight, i have read here in the forums from more expert installers, that usauly they would have the sealed up side a little less than recommended,but 1.28 for both seems too small to me also as these fellas have pointed out, most are usually tuned in the 40s, thats all gonna be up to you in the end, my only advice would be to read more in depth, theres a ton of info in the subwoofer/enclosure section about 4th orders, the more you read the more you'll be able to figure out what will fit your needs.also theres alot of info on the whole ratio thing about spl /daily applications, happy reading

Edited by Bmike

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas

short cut to one of the read ups,http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/126478-basics-of-a-4th-order-bandpass-enclosure/

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas