I have a 2002 impala LS and im about to install a audiopipe1000d amp to run my subs. it says it runs 2000 watts peak and i know my stock alt and batt wont be able to handle that for very long and this might be a stupid question but could i turn the gains down so my charging system can handle it until i get a bigger alt and/or battery or would that not make any effect on voltage drops? noob question i know but right now i cant afford a new battery or alt so i gotta save up for that. or can i leave the gains alone and just not turn the bass knob all the way up? first system so im new to this

That 2k max. Not continuous. You'd get lucky if you get 1k rms out of that amp. I think you should be fine. Do the big 3 and upgrade your batt as soon as you can and your golden.

Edited by fmedina

edit because some people cant see when i edit so i have to re-do

set your gains correctly and make sure it has a clean signal, to check on the volt drop get a volt meter and monitor your voltage if your volts starts to drop then don't go any higher on the head unit

Edited by Miguels

half gain and dont use the bass knob. i dont use my bass knobs and my subs still sound loud plus its a better sound quality

edit: or you can listen to music low and not go full tilt on you H/U, i was running stock alternator with 4 gauge wire with a stock batter on a brz2400 and that was powering 2 15l7 and i wasnt getting that much of a volt drop

The only time i would really turn it up full tilt would be to show off. so my stock electric will be able to handle it at normal gains playing at half volume most of the time until i get a new batt/alt?

That 2k max. Not continuous. You'd get lucky if you get 1k rms out of that amp. I think you should be fine. Do the big 3 and upgrade your batt as soon as you can and your golden.

it dont have to be 1/0 gauge since the alternator is not putting out 300 amps 4 gauge is enough for stock electrical, if you are planning on getting a bigger system then i would go with 1/0 gauge since doing the 4 gauge would be a waste of time and money. if you want to save money then you can run grounds to engine and one ground to alt case and that would be enough since once again your alt is not putting out over 150 amps

set the gain on the amp where it should be..set everything up normally...then go easy on the volume knob.. set the gain "halfway" is horrible advise. the gain should never be maxed anyways

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

set the gain on the amp where it should be..set everything up normally...then go easy on the volume knob.. set the gain "halfway" is horrible advise. the gain should never be maxed anyways

why is it a horrible advise? some amplifier companies test amps at half gain and thats the power they rate them at

not sure but i seen it when i was looking at a video on youtube

edit: this is from a clamp test that was done by an amp company that tested at half gain, if the test it like that then it shouldn't be horrible to play music like that

VVVVVVVVVV

I am going to go through and drop the SAZ-1000D, SAE-1200D, SAZ-1500D, SAZ-2000D, SAZ-3000D, and SAZ-3500D in the Jeep and do a power clamp test so we have a rough and UNIFORM comparison between the amps in the same setup.

Test Frequency - 50 Hz

Test Load - 4x SA-12s all in parallel for 0.4375 DCR (1/2 nominal)

Test Electrical - 6x Stinger SPV-70 + 225-Amp Alternator (vehicle only at idle)

Amp gain set to 1/2 - Head Unit Sub Control 10/10 - Head Unit Volume 50/50

Setting gain to half on each amp is, of course, not an exact match... but for the sake of roughly comparing the amps I think it serves the purpose.

Edited by Miguels

is it safe...probably.. i just wouldnt give that advice to anyone cuz in the back of mind id always wonder if it was too high..not high enough.. gonna depend largely on the headunit how high the gain can go as well along with some other factors..like i said i just dont like that advice

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

is it safe...probably.. i just wouldnt give that advice to anyone cuz in the back of mind id always wonder if it was too high..not high enough.. gonna depend largely on the headunit how high the gain can go as well along with some other factors..like i said i just dont like that advice

yes i agree with you on half gain since we still dont know the actual power but for the amp he has the stock alt can take it, i ran mine brz2400 just fine and my gains was set higher than half, the best way is to set amp with DD-1 and get a volt meter to keep an eye on the volts if you see it drop then go lower on the H/U after a while you will know at what level you can turn up your volume with no volt drop

You have no idea how to set gains Miguels. I suggest you do some research and realize the proper function of gain.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?