Friend of mine has a ratting problem on his computer speakers

Ok my friend just messaged me, and posted a video because there is a rattling problem on his Corsair sp2500, and I was wondering if you guys could help me identify the problem.

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAEA7D4tyKM&feature=youtu.be

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Does it do it if you pick it up? It might be rattling on the floor. Also check that no wires are touching it and vibrating or something / that nothing around the unit is vibrating - confirm that the rattle is in fact coming from the sub itself

If there are any screws that are easy to access, tighten them too. If not, you might have to pull it apart and check for anything loose on the inside.

Yeah, he's about to check that. Thanks for the response

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Just tried that... I'm still getting unwanted rattle when I pick it up but it seems like it's clearing up and burning in, either that or the volume level is just lower (I've been playing with the volume). I suppose I'll run some bass testers for a while and have a burn-in?

Just tried that... I'm still getting unwanted rattle when I pick it up but it seems like it's clearing up and burning in, either that or the volume level is just lower (I've been playing with the volume). I suppose I'll run some bass testers for a while and have a burn-in?

If you shake it / tap on it from various angles - does it sound like something is loose on the inside?

And does it still rattle if you 'squeeze' it or hold down certain pieces from a couple different spots/angles?

My father's HT sub did that - turns out it was a decorative trim piece on it. Removed them: no more rattle. So look for 'snap on' things like that on the sub.

Nah, I've established the sub is definitely defective. It's not banging nearly as loud as it should be. It's moving the air but not creating the sound. Defective box methinks. What's also really weird is when playing bass, the facebook messenger sound is distorted like the stereo speakers are being over-driven, even though it's the sub doing the work, not the satellites. Very curious indeed. I had much better luck with my old Logitech Z5300 system, 5.1, each pair of channels was plugged into my 5.1 sound card and the foobar2000 foo_channel_mixer component had the sub banging LFE all night long, loud and clear. I half think it's a faulty box and my other half says faulty DSP. I'm leaning towards me being fully right on both guesses.

---

This Corsair system is only plugged into my line out, it's onboard DSP is supposed to process the sub frequencies but it's just not doing it properly.

This is a long shot: but what if you turn the volume on your input device down? You might be clipping the input

If not, than I'd contact corsair and see if they will replace it for you

It's a known issue on the Corsair forum. Not sure if there was 1 or a few bad batches made in China or what. I'm just waiting until a business day to hear from them and see what's up. I just can't believe they put such efforts into the design and this is my end product. I was really getting my hopes up unboxing, the wires were a nice and thick gauge. Each satellite driver has it's own discrete amp and the sub shakes nicely aside from this ridiculous port rattle.

I'll also say... I went to do another bass tester today and refresh my memory of what this port sounds like and the bass was really really weak. I then realized it's because the song I was playing is called 20 Hz. I realized the response on the Corsair sub goes down to 35 Hz, I'm not sure what the roll-off in dB is but that's why the 20 Hz tone was so quiet. I'm really hoping Corsair redeems my faith and I don't need to go get another system because I'm digging the reference sound this is reproducing. We shall see.

Archived