Second Skin Audio

SA 12's - New Calculator Pic, Need Help!

My first endeavor into building ported boxes. I'll be getting 2 SA 12's soon for the back of my truck cab.

Max Dimensions: 46 wide x 17 depth(s) x Tall (not really a limit here)

I have been reading up on ported boxes here, I decided to go with aeroports (PVC) mainly for ease of building. Here's is a screenshot of Torres' calculator. Let me know if I messed anything up, also the first time using this calculator.

NEW:

CalcPic6.jpg

^^^^ This is a new one (so disregard some of the comments) I can easily get the dimensions to come out with that net volume if that port and tuning work. If i make the box any larger, I can't keep the port area per foot up. Subs forward with port out the side in a truck cab box.

EDIT: Also I plan to flare the ports on both ends (just a small flare on the inside using heat and then round over the wood with the pvc recessed slightly on the front, how does this factor in?

Edited by c.director

WAYYYY too little port area that's for sure, try around 4 cubes and use a single 6 instead of 2 3s

That amount of port area per foot and total is about 3 times TOO small

And you won't be able to have your box 9" deep with 8.5" long aeros, you need 4" absolute minimum from the inner most port flare to the back of a box, you'll need to increase the depth, look at the depth of an sa12..it'll be like 2-3 inches from your back wall, shrink your width by like 8" and add it to your depth

Edited by BeAlLsTaR13

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

WAYYYY too little port area that's for sure, try around 4 cubes and use a single 6 instead of 2 3s

That amount of port area per foot and total is about 3 times TOO small

And you won't be able to have your box 9" deep with 8.5" long aeros, you need 4" absolute minimum from the inner most port flare to the back of a box, you'll need to increase the depth, look at the depth of an sa12..it'll be like 2-3 inches from your back wall, shrink your width by like 8" and add it to your depth

Thanks.. Does PVC come in 6"? I was planning on making my own, but I will play with it some more.

The ports I had planned on front mounting towards the bottom, where there is 14 inches of depth, is this still a problem? and the woofers mounted half way down, it would just be a few inches, I didn't think this was a problem but I will try and add a few more inches to it.

You'd be better off buying a pair of 4" aeros from parts-express.com

Have them on the bottom of the box firing to the side, one on each end, but you'll wanna bring the box up about .25-.5 cubes more if you can with that small of port, even 2 4s are a little on the small side

But with sa12s they generally want about 11-14" of port PER cube, with aeros you can generally get away with 8-9, 8 being generally on the smallest end

Or if you can just fire a single 6" aero to the side, on just 1 side not both

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

Trying to get the Tuning frequency to 30 Hz (or even close) with the net volume around 3.5 or more and port area per foot being above 9 is seeming IMPOSSIBLE right now. lol Unless I have an extremely long port, whats the longest you would go on an aero?

Anybody wanna throw me a bone?

Firing the port(s) out the side sounds like a good idea so i'll probably go that route.

Still prefer to make my own though, I've been building my whole life, just not audio.

Edited by c.director

Yes it's a slanted box.

The more I read, i'm thinking I could let my tuning frequency be a little higher. Maybe between 30-34 Hz. Which makes it easier to get, but I will have to try when I get home.

If I get the box tuned between 30-34 hz with over 3.5 internal cubes and my port area per foot to be above 8, is there anything else I have to worry about?

Just messing around (first time using this program also):

box1.jpg

The port will be flared of course..

Anybody seeing any problems? this was made based on the calculator results (I know some of how they overlap is wrong, like i said a lot of trial and error, that will be fixed before making.)

Edited by c.director