Second Skin Audio

1 chamber? 1 port? what is best?

K if took a box with this design and separated the chambers and where the ports meet, I will be good? I use the Torres Calculator (as best I can). It's given me the manufactors desired tuning and airspace.:

Untitled-2.png

Pretend there is some MDF in the middle of the box dividing it. That is an old design.

If the center divider cuts the port as well it would be a standard L port, port up, when possible (when you have enough width) is best to have ports and subs on the same face.

if turbulence is a concern for you, consider doing kerfs on any bends you have and the openings of the port/s

The pic was just a crude effort to explain how its possible to do one port in center of two subs.

Yes you can smooth turbulence and I guess it can be done succesfully is just that aispeed lowers on the center duct and therefore the standard tuning equation would be inaccurate by some margin, I would just love to see some analytics for that situation.

airspeed wont decrease as you are doubling your air volume at the common point of the port.

Dividing the common point increases port surface area and changes calcuations vs common port. Common port is more efficient, just put some rounded corners in there and a V shaped piece at the bottom to optimize it.

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

airspeed wont decrease as you are doubling your air volume at the common point of the port.

Dividing the common point increases port surface area and changes calcuations vs common port. Common port is more efficient, just put some rounded corners in there and a V shaped piece at the bottom to optimize it.

Ok friction losses decrease on the center duct, the V shaped piece will align the flow and avoid some turbulence but nothing more. Probably no big deal but still will tune differently than the standard port. I am guessing it will tune higher.

Joe X - you are trying to make too much out of the center port. I have built both ways at least 20 times each. The center port is awesome for music and allows for a nice symmetrical design.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.