Sundown Audio

Problem with amp?

Hadec

some questions

1st how did they wire 2 dual 1 subs to a final impedence of 2ohms.if you have dual 1 subs they should of wired it to 1ohm or 4ohms

2nd whats your electrical consit of,i know u have a stck batt(which should be upgraded running that much power) but have you done the big 3,do you have a HO alt.

by professionals im taking it that a local shop did your install.if they told you they hooked up 2 dual 1ohm subs to a final 2ohm load then they must not know what their doing or talking about IMO

The subs are dual 1, is that bad?

And now that i look at it on the fi car audio website.. it says dual 2 ohm subs only have 1k rms? is that a mistake? Or is it actually only 1k rms

dual 1 subs are perfect since you have a amp that is 1ohm stable you wire the subs in parallel to get a 1ohm load at the amp....im not sure on the BLs power handling as i have new owned or used one...but the site says the dual 1s are 1000w rms and dual 2 are 1500w rms for the 12s

And what is parallel? Should they be wired to 1ohm or 2 ohms? They are currently wired at 2 ohms.

you cant wire 2 dual 1ohm subs to a final load of 2ohms,its either 1ohm or 4ohm

So thats the problem then..? I'll bring it back and get 1 ohm wiring.

i doubt the ohm load is the problem if they are dual 1ohm subs.they can only be wired to 4ohm or 1 ohm load at the amp and if the amp is 1ohm stable it shouldnt be a problem.another question,do you know how they set the gains on your amp.hopefully they used a o-scope.

What you should do is try working on it your self. I don't think ohm load is a issue here. When the amp cuts off does the amp go into protect? Or just the power just goes out.

If the subs are dual 1 they probably wired them at 1ohm or 4 ohm which isn't a issue.

They are dual 1 subs and they wired them to 2 ohm. This was his "reasoning" behind why he did this. He look on the fi car audio website and saw that it says the dual 1's are .7 ohm. Hi figured that he could either wire them to .5 or 2 ohm he told me since .7 is closer to .5 than it is to 1. Which makes no sense to me since there is a slight impedance rise which should make the subs 1ohm flat. I am gonna go back there and ask them to wire them to 1ohm.

I don't know if the amplifier went into protect or not because I was driving around and I couldnt just stop in the middle of the street and move move my subs out of the way to see the amplifier. My neighbors will call the cops if I just play it in my driveway so i'll just bring it back to this place and see what they think.

Working on my first car audio build ever!

Currently have:

- 1996 Lexus LS400 sedan

- Diablo Hellfire Proto Amplifier

- (2) 12" Fi Bl Subwoofers

- Vented subwoofer enclosure from Perfect Soundz

- Installed by Perfect Soundz

Needs:

- Battery: probably XS Power 12V 2400

- "The Big 3"

some questions

1st how did they wire 2 dual 1 subs to a final impedence of 2ohms.if you have dual 1 subs they should of wired it to 1ohm or 4ohms

2nd whats your electrical consit of,i know u have a stck batt(which should be upgraded running that much power) but have you done the big 3,do you have a HO alt.

by professionals im taking it that a local shop did your install.if they told you they hooked up 2 dual 1ohm subs to a final 2ohm load then they must not know what their doing or talking about IMO

The subs are dual 1, is that bad?

And now that i look at it on the fi car audio website.. it says dual 2 ohm subs only have 1k rms? is that a mistake? Or is it actually only 1k rms

dual 1 subs are perfect since you have a amp that is 1ohm stable you wire the subs in parallel to get a 1ohm load at the amp....im not sure on the BLs power handling as i have new owned or used one...but the site says the dual 1s are 1000w rms and dual 2 are 1500w rms for the 12s

And what is parallel? Should they be wired to 1ohm or 2 ohms? They are currently wired at 2 ohms.

you cant wire 2 dual 1ohm subs to a final load of 2ohms,its either 1ohm or 4ohm

So thats the problem then..? I'll bring it back and get 1 ohm wiring.

i doubt the ohm load is the problem if they are dual 1ohm subs.they can only be wired to 4ohm or 1 ohm load at the amp and if the amp is 1ohm stable it shouldnt be a problem.another question,do you know how they set the gains on your amp.hopefully they used a o-scope.

Yeah, they told me that the gains are set in the "middle".

Currently have:

- 1996 Lexus LS400 sedan

Needs:

- "The Big 3"

Pretty sure they had issues with the production models. The protos are the ones that are bad ass if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on that.

OP you should try working on it. This gives you a perfect starting point.

You can not wire dual 1 subs to 2 ohms. There is no way.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

iirc alot of people had problems with those amps

Yeah but this is a prototype and it's built different and more stable, according to Kingsuv.

Currently have:

- 1996 Lexus LS400 sedan

Needs:

- "The Big 3"

Pretty sure they had issues with the production models. The protos are the ones that are bad ass if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on that.

Then this is definitely the reason why. I need to get them 1 ohm wired.

Currently have:

- 1996 Lexus LS400 sedan

Needs:

- "The Big 3"

i agree totally.if they are known problems with the amp id start there

They CAN'T be wired to 2 ohms. It can't. It's not like it can be but it's not the right way to wire them. It's impossible to wire them to that.

They are either wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohms. Which is fine. Your subs is NOT the issue. It's something THEY did. Can you take pictures of the ground location? Actually. Of everything.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Archived