Second Skin Audio

AQ box question

ok guys i built a box for 2 aq hdc3's 15's and they are running off 2 2200d's. its loud but i feel like it could do better.

Capture1.jpg

what do you guys have your aq's in? should the box be smaller? bigger? i need some seasoned pro advise.

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

The box you have right now is huge, especially for the power that you're running. What exactly do you feel is lacking with your current box? What vehicle is it in and how are the subs/port laid out?

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

looks about the right volume. maybe go a touch smaller, but then again i haven't ran AQ before. i'd probably look into doing a double baffle. never hurts

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

The box you have right now is huge, especially for the power that you're running. What exactly do you feel is lacking with your current box? What vehicle is it in and how are the subs/port laid out?

its an 02 focus hatchback. port back subs fire up. i just feel for the power im running it should hit harder. its not alot louder than the 1 aq 15 i was running b4 in a 6 cube box tuned to 32hz.

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

479-418-3056

Volume is a little on the big side, but port area is definitely small. I like 16-18^2 per net cube.

If you can make the port wider that would also shrink down the volume some. Tuned a little low IMO, as I never go below 35Hz with the AQ's.

Would take some work, but I'd give it more port area and see if you like it. Also are you 100% sure the amps are set up properly? Are you running them strapped? I'm assuming you had a single amp when you had 1 sub and have now stepped up, so maybe your amp settings are wrong.

its an 02 focus hatchback. port back subs fire up. i just feel for the power im running it should hit harder. its not alot louder than the 1 aq 15 i was running b4 in a 6 cube box tuned to 32hz.

To complement what has already been pointed out I would compare:

1) the Port area/Vb from you old box with the new.

2) port and sub firing direction. Same??

ALSO your electrical should easily take the doubled power. Wiring and all.

Having said that HDC3 subs loose a lot their steam low tuned, probably you will be interested to see this:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/131804-box-size/page__view__findpost__p__1853199

35-38 Hz will make them louder most likely.

Edited by Joe X

To complement what has already been pointed out I would compare:

1) the Port area/Vb from you old box with the new.

2) port and sub firing direction. Same??

ALSO your electrical should easily take the doubled power. Wiring and all.

Having said that HDC3 subs loose a lot their steam low tuned, probably you will be interested to see this:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/131804-box-size/page__view__findpost__p__1853199

35-38 Hz will make them louder most likely.

yea my old box was tuned to 32 sub up port back. and i just added another hdc3 and another 2200 and i strapped them together. 2ohm nominal. I set all my gains with the dd-1 by the book

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

479-418-3056

I would be shooting for a box around 8 cubes net tuned around 36hz if it was for me. Anywhere around 14-16 sq in of port per net cube would be fine. If you trying to get more SPL a larger port will help but I think it would sound better around 14 sq in per net.

i may have to do that. i just love the lows

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

479-418-3056