Second Skin Audio

box design

can anyone help me with a design for an 18" AA Mayhem? it will be going into the trunk of a 94 Chrysler LHS. max dimensions are 20"H(behind backseat, and 17"H at the back of the car) 30"W X 40"D. the reason it is 20 behind the backseats and 17" at the back of the car is the trunk slopes down a lil toward the back of the car. i'd like it tuned to around 30hz. i'd also like it to be forward firing due to the limited airspace in the trunk after putting a box that big in there. i know it can work because i've already had an AQ 18 in there.

Edited by qcbangin

try using the box designer on here.

also you need to let potential helpers know what power you are using on the sub as well as your electrical support behind it.

I dunno about other designers but i would like to know if your running 4k to it or 500rms.

Edited by Forum Asshole

2.25 cubes with 50 sq in of port to your desired frequency is what i would do i wouldnt tune to 30 myself but id tune higher and make the f3 play down there. you just lose way to much upper end tuning that low.

nowhere does it say you were using a 18" mayhem. it does say you had an aq 18 but it doesn say the mayhem is a different size. Also just because you had it in there doesnt mean that its correct. You upgraded for a reason and if the AQ was in the correct box, then your probably not going to gain hugely going to another sub. seeing that it will be firing forward, you need to look into how much space your going to have after aeroports in your odd shaped box.

you need to be more specific about what you have or again no box designer can help you.

and for that sub and amp combo id go largest box in the recommendations as possible since the amp does not do rated in the first place. the sub will never see rms, also your proposed 30hz tune is going to eat alot of box space for port.

Here is a design suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 30 Hz

Vb = 8 ft^3

Subwoofer Mounting = Flush Mounted

External Height = 20 in

External Width = 27,54 in

External Depth = 38 in

Port Width = 5 1/2 in

Cut List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 27 9/16 x 20

Left & Right Sides = 35 3/4 x 18 1/2

Top & Bottom = 27 9/16 x 35 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 25 1/2 x 18 1/2

A fair amount of bracing should be added though.