How To Do The Big 3: Tutorial

Guest MegaloManiac

• 2 months later...

I have question... if you are upgrading the positive wire from the alt. to the battery, would it be okay to upgrade the alternator ground also? And instead of grounding the battery to the chasis, Would it make a difference if it be mounted onto the frame? Or would it be okay to ground the battery to the chasis and frame?

I have question... if you are upgrading the positive wire from the alt. to the battery, would it be okay to upgrade the alternator ground also? And instead of grounding the battery to the chasis, Would it make a difference if it be mounted onto the frame? Or would it be okay to ground the battery to the chasis and frame?

i found it better to ground to both more grounds cant hurt but if you have to choose chassis or frame i would choose frame

and most people up grade the alt ground as well in the big 3 most stock grounds or 8 gauge or less on the wire anyway

http://www.stevemead...f-system-build/

2001 VW GTI with a 1.8T motor

BIG 3

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT 6 - 4 VOLT PREOUTS

RF T1500-BDCP (running at 2 ohm)

RF T400.4

RF T1 D212 x2 (in ported box)

RF 1/0 TO 4 GAUGE distribution block x 2

all stinger wires

200a alternator (SINGER ALT)

RF T2652-S (6.5 MID BASS AND 1" TWEETS in front and rear)

KINETIC HC 800 BATTERY (Front)

KINETIC HC 1200 BATTERY (BACK)

120ft of 1/0 stinger blue and clear matt

20ft of 4 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

30ft of 8 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

100ft of 12 gauge stinger speaker wire black

I was watching the tutorial on youtube. What is the difference between grounding the engine block to the chasis compared to grounding to the battery? The reason I am asking all these questions is because on my old setup I have done the big 3 (mounted the engine block wire directly to the frame) before BUT with no battery up front and two yellow tops in the bed. I have been having issues with my batteries draining even after a couple of days sitting. I have start up my engine for my alternator to charge the batteries but did the same thing. I had my alternator checked and it was good. Now, I have upgraded my alt. to a mechman 270 amp alt. with (3) xs power d3100's that i will have mounted in my bed. They are not hooked up yet and wanted to find the problem first before I put the batteries in.

Sounds like you have an issue with something not shutting off if your not playing and the truck is sitting and draining your batt.

my understanding of grounding to the engingblock tk batt was for a better ground from the alt.

please correct me if im wrong

http://www.stevemead...f-system-build/

2001 VW GTI with a 1.8T motor

BIG 3

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT 6 - 4 VOLT PREOUTS

RF T1500-BDCP (running at 2 ohm)

RF T400.4

RF T1 D212 x2 (in ported box)

RF 1/0 TO 4 GAUGE distribution block x 2

all stinger wires

200a alternator (SINGER ALT)

RF T2652-S (6.5 MID BASS AND 1" TWEETS in front and rear)

KINETIC HC 800 BATTERY (Front)

KINETIC HC 1200 BATTERY (BACK)

120ft of 1/0 stinger blue and clear matt

20ft of 4 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

30ft of 8 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

100ft of 12 gauge stinger speaker wire black

The altenator grounds through the alt bracket and the engine block. That's why you upgrade the battery neg wire AND the engine block ground wire to the chassis/frame.

You run a wire from the neg post on battery to the cassis/frame in the engine compartment, and then from the engine block to the same spot on the chassis/frame. So essentially your grounding the battery to the engine block and to the chassis/frame all at the same time in the same spot. I'll try and draw a diagram and post a picture.

Archived