Help recovering my PC with recovery partition

I just got a gateway desktop PC running windows vista <_< from my sister in law and wanted to wipe it clean to "out of box" condition cause it has viruses on it. Im not too super computer savy so I don't know if there are additional steps I can take beyond what I have already tried.

I have googled so much and still haven't had any success. I've tried hitting F8 during startup to get the advanced boot options which supposedly should bring up an option to "repair my PC" but that option isn't there. I've tried hitting F10 during startup and it brings up a screen to choose which device to boot from but it doesn't show the recovery partion. Ive also tried hitting F11 during startup and that does nothing. The only other thing I have read is to order the recovery disks from gateway but if Im going to have to do that I will just upgrade to windows 7 at that point.

Is there anything else I can try to get this thing fixed? any help is greatly appreciated! :drinks:

To boot into the recovery partition you're supposed to hold down the ALT key and repeatedly tap f10

and here is another option if you cant get into recovery mode.

downloaded the ultimate boot disk, (which is free)

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

and boot the computer. go to HDD, Boot setup, and run the first program there. This will let you change the active partition. There are 3 partitions on the gateway HDD. The second is the 'vista' partition, the third is the recovery partition, but the first is the boot-up partition that reads the third.

Set the first partition to active, F2 to save, remove the CD and reboot.

You should now be able to do a factory re-install on your gateway computer without the recovery CD or DVD.

Hope this helps.

Its a Gateway GM 5626 desktop. Thanks for the link I'll give that a try. Is there any chance of me messing something up by using that program? Oh and do you think its worth it to just go buy Windows7 and do a fresh install? and if I do go that route, would 64 bit be compatible with my machine? its running 32 bit vista right now. Thanks again!

i know in win 7 you go control panel/system and security/backup and restore/recover system settings or your computer/advanced recovery methods/use a system image/ click skip to create a disk and itll ask to reboot and upon reboot it will bring up the recovery partition automatically. used this last week matter of fact on my Gateway

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

Its a Gateway GM 5626 desktop. Thanks for the link I'll give that a try. Is there any chance of me messing something up by using that program? Oh and do you think its worth it to just go buy Windows7 and do a fresh install? and if I do go that route, would 64 bit be compatible with my machine? its running 32 bit vista right now. Thanks again!

from your specs, gateway preinstalled 3 gigs of ram on it and is expandable to 4 gig. as for BUYING a fresh copy of win 7 id say naw, but maybe if you got it from say someone that sails a ship and flys a big skull and crossbones flag then id say hell yes. even with 3 gig ram win 7 x64 runs sweet. of course id recomend adding another gig. i ran win 7 x32 on 256 MB ram and it was fine. no errors. no blue screens. it'll work.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

Well I ended just removing all the viruses and useless shit that she had installed on the comp and it's been running without a hitch for the last few days so I think I'm going to leave it the way it is. Thanks for all the help everyone.