Sonic Electronix

I bought a pair of used RE SE 12 and one of them has what appears to be a bad tinsel lead. Its not where it connects to the voice coil but in the middle between the terminal and where it goes through the cone to the voice coil. It appears to be from hitting the cone too much. When I test next to the cone it reads ~3.4 ohms. When I test at the terminal it reads nothing. Would it be safe to just put some solder where the problem is, or is it more intensive than that? Also, the subs are supposed to be dual 4 ohm but they test to be 3.4-2.8 ohms. Is that normal?

use Duct tape mannnnnnnnn

JK

After quit some time doing speaker repair, and even working on a production line at a speaker factory, that is a tuff one to fix, its best to just get a recone

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

use Duct tape mannnnnnnnn

JK

After quit some time doing speaker repair, and even working on a production line at a speaker factory, that is a tuff one to fix, its best to just get a recone

x2. i have tried soldering them but it only last for a note maybe 2. i have however seen people use but connectors. it seems to work but i wouldnt want that on my sub

----reference's----

meade916

Its not completely broken, if I get it in the right angle it will read the same at the terminal and the wires at the cone. I'd rather try a little solder compared to $112 + shipping both ways to get it reconed. I'll try to get a picture of the tinsel in a little bit. What about the coils reading lower ohms than they are rated?

if its the one without speaker wire, like i said, the voicecoil glue got too much heat, now the vc wire on one side is loose in the gap, causing it to read anywhere from 2.8-200ohms, its not the tinsel lead thats causing that ohm reading. the loose vc wire sent a dc ofset to my amp which is why my amp fried(RE 12.1). so i had the 1606d laying around and hooked up the working one for about 8 months until last week when i sold it to u. if the tinsel lead is bad on the non working sub, it will be repaired with the recone. if its the working one, i looked over that sub 10+ times before i sold it cause i didnt want to sell 2 non-working when i had 1 in my car bumping til the day i sent it ups.

the one with speaker wire connected read 2.8 on both coils before i sent it and i never had problems with that one. the nonworking sub was the first sub powered when the subs were wired in parallel and re said thats why that sub overheated more than the other/ along with the possibility of not enough glue on that sub compared to the other, but it was incorrect gain setting that ultimately ruined that speaker. i contacted re about 9 months ago and thats what technical department told me

Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.49

Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 4.5

Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.44

Free Air Resonance -Fs: 25.1 Hz

Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 72.9 liters

One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 18 mm

Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 86.1 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area -Sd: 480 cm^2

DC Resistance -Re: 2.8 ohm

Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 4 ohm

Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 600 W

Force Factor -Bl: 17.7

the working sub coils should read 2.8^, the blown will read alot of different #'s

did i mention you can get those reconed to 15"s also'

hope that helps chris

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

How do I get them reconed to 15's? The sub with the wires is perfect! I hooked it up in a cheap prefab sealed box I had lying around (and gave it 400W RMS) and just that one alone is louder than my buddies 2 CVR12s fully powered with 800W RMS!! I was checking the sub without the wires just to make sure and one coil read 3.4 and the other jumped all over the place, so it does make sense what your saying. I thought I just got lucky and it would only be the tinsel.

How do I get them reconed to 15's? The sub with the wires is perfect! I hooked it up in a cheap prefab sealed box I had lying around (and gave it 400W RMS) and just that one alone is louder than my buddies 2 CVR12s fully powered with 800W RMS!! I was checking the sub without the wires just to make sure and one coil read 3.4 and the other jumped all over the place, so it does make sense what your saying. I thought I just got lucky and it would only be the tinsel.

then i would have kept it bro!!! :lol:

im really glad you like it, i never had anyone listen to my car and not be impressed and look into RE afterwards, perfect little sq sub with lots of output

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived