Do I have this right?

First off let me say I have never done a "Big System" before, but I have done all my own installs and have been researching on this site for quite a while...

I plan on running a DC 5.0k amp which has a fuse rating of 500 amps. I'm going to run it at 1.33 ohms (3 DC Level 4 dual 2 ohm 12's wired in series/parallel) on a 14.4 volt system (MLA) in a 2007 Ford F150, so it should produce around 5000 watts. Would 2 Mechman 250 alternators (330 combined amps at idle), a yellow top under the hood, two XS Power XP3000's and the "big three" be enough for this amp plus more, maybe a DC 175.4 (140 amps), with little to no voltage drop, even at idle? This will be a daily system which is why I'm going with the XP3000's. According to a formula Snafu posted, it should be plenty of power for these two amps...

- the vehicle requires @60 amps to run all stock accessories

- the batteries require between 7 and 10 amps each to maintain a surface charge

- the audio system is played at clipping (as loud as it'll play cleanly)

500 Amps - 60 Amps - 30 Amps (batteries, worse case scenario) = 410 Amps left for amplifiers

410 Amps x 14.4 Volts = 5,904 Watts

5904 Watts x 75% Amplifier Efficiency = 4,428 Watts of amplifier power when reproducing sine waves

With music, even bass discs, duty cycle is about 50%

4,428 Watts / 50% duty cycle = 8,856 Watts (5184 watts at idle) of amplifier power when playing music...

So plenty of power, but would I need three XP3000's?

And here is where I get confused... The two alt's have a combined 500 amps, but the two amplifiers are a combined 640 amps. So the amplifiers alone (not to mention the trucks accessories) would draw more amps than the alternators are capable of supplying?

Do I need three alternators with a yellow top and two XP3000's or two alternators with a yellow top and three XP3000's or is the first scenario with two alternators, a yellow top and two XP3000's the way to go? I've looked at build logs and read through posts and posts on here... please help me with this!

2001 VW Passat Sportwagen

Alpine ICS-X7HD

DC Audio 5K

SSA 15" XCON

Tantric Sounds 6.5HD's, Sundound Audio SA-6.5CS

Incriminator Audio IA6.4

XS batteries, KnuKonceptz wirez, Second Skin

I have a 5.0k wired to .5 nom with 4 d3100's and a s3400 with a 270 amp alt and had no problems. My voltage would only drop down to 13.8v the first second of a good bass note but would stay at 14v all the other times. My voltage drop is there because i have no dedicated ground for the rear just yet, i will this summer though. The amp never got hot and my alt was always ice cold too until my engine warmed up and transferred the heat to the one side of the case but it was nothing major. For your current alt setup id say maybe 2 d3100's in the back by the amp will be plenty. I have less charging power than you and my voltage was still pretty damn good.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived